1. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DM's campaign log- Wrath Of The Righteous (PF & spoliers!)

Ok, lets continue!

Session 5, Second part- Final preparations, War Council, Approaching the Gray Garrison

The second part focused mostly on the last preparations. Along with closing some loose ends, and deepening some suspicions...

Back at Defender's Heart
    It took a few hours to get to the Tower of Estrod and back. As they return they see that there are new arrivals- the Mongrel folk! about 350 of them, with odd assortment of weapons and armor. Chief Sul comes and hugs Andrew, then Sena. "Ambassador! Light bringer! Even in this dark times there are happy times! We have risen and come back!" They also see Lann, in better armor (Gained a level of fighter) gaining much respect amongst the mongrelfolk. The other "regular" humanoids however are not that happy, and seem tense. The party notices this, but decides there are more pressing matters.

Sena finds Arabeth, who is trying to ease the situation, and shows her the paper. "To the war room" she replies. Andrew and Sena goes there with her. Near it's door they see Anevia, bow in hands, acting as guard. She waves at them enthusiastically. Arabeth groans "I told her to rest, but she is so persistent when she wants something. She wanted to help." As they go inside they see another surprise- Aravash speaking softly with Quendys, while the librarians shuffle and go through papers.

Sena drops the loads of info. (The party: "Shouldn't we go through them first? Maybe one of them is a traitor" Sena: "I doubt his real name will be here". Both of them try sense motive but see nothign amiss, though they highly suspect Quendys. After a brief explanation Quendys thanks them "We will see about these. If what you say is true, then these may provide the missing link." Sena is adamant though, putting Minagho's letter. "What about this? This requires no pouring over." Quendys, Commander John and Arabeth reads it. "It seems this crystal is the soruce of our bane. And they wish to turn the wardstones against us. I will need to check my books and information to ascertain where they seek to do it, and how. But we will decide in a few hours. Our time to act is at hand. I suggest you make final preparations, talk to whomever you need (Party: "Make your final will?") and rest as you can. I shall call you when we're ready.

They are not that happy with such an answer, but comply.

Down stairs the tensions continue to rise, so Andrew takes the stage and give a short resounding speech: "My Brothers! Sisters! Soldiers of Kenabres of all race, kind or shape! These brave people here, the First Ascendants are one of us, of our blood, of our kin! We have hunted them, and yet they repay us by coming to our aid, no feelings of vengeance. People of Kenabres, this is the time of reunion and hope! They are part of our way to salvation! For victory, and triumph!" Due to his reputation, high skills and words, (and a decent roll) he succeeds greatly, and mongrelfolks clash weapons in unity with the uplanders.

Sena nods his head towards John, with a motion towards Andrew, John nods slightly backs, and watches not speaking.

The War Council
    Shortly after Arabeth comes and motions each PC to discreetly come after her up. As they near the doors Commander John stops Andrew. "I'm sorry, I know that you care for Millorn, but this subject is way too sensitive, he is to wait outside." There are some tense moments, but Andrew accepts, and sends Millorn to "Watch over the people, tell me what you see, tell me what you learn". Andrew suspects Millorn has some oracular powers.

In the room they see the four leaders of the resistance: Arabeth, Quendys, Commander John and Chief Sul. Aravash is there as well, he hugs Harry, but sits aside for the most of it.

Quendys Begins his but quite well executed ("Read out text") speech:
    "As horrific as recent events have been, we’ve come to realize that they are, in fact, merely a prelude. The razing of the Kite, the destruction of our wardstone, Terendelev’s murder, and the assault on the city were nothing more than opening gambits. The Worldwound is on the march in a more concentrated assault than we’ve seen since the fall of Drezen. It’s fair to say the Lord of the Locust Host is finally making his move. The end of this hundred-year-war is upon us, and it falls to us to ensure victory.

While the Templars of the Ivory Labyrinth were scattered, those who serve the Lord of the Locust Host himself remain concentrated in Old Kenabres. What we’ve heard from within the barricade they’ve erected is ominous. The cultists are waiting for something, and based on our own information and what you’ve managed to recover so far, it sounds like the vile witch Areelu Vorlesh will soon be coming to Kenabres. And it appears that we’ve determined what she intends to do.

When the wardstone was destroyed by the Storm King, it exploded and destroyed the Kite. The network along the border failed, but did not fade completely. I believe this is because a significant portion of our wardstone still exists, and that the cultists have taken it to the old garrison in Old Kenabres. From what we’ve learned, they’re hoping to engineer a way to somehow reverse the field generated by the wardstones—essentially, to use our own greatest defense as a devastating weapon.

The attack on Kenabres had a predictable result: causing the crusade to gather at the border to defend it. Some wonder why the demons haven’t attacked in stronger numbers. I believe that Areelu was counting on us massing along the border, and that if she can corrupt the wardstone field, she can strike a devastating blow against us all. In effect, we’ve lined up for the slaughter.

Vorlesh is surely seeking some object of great Abyssal power, likely the Nahyndrian crystal mentioned in the missive you recovered, and with it she intends to turn the source of our hope into an unimaginable nightmare. We cannot hope to evacuate everyone from the border—I doubt they would give up the defensive line even if they knew what the enemy planned. But we can still stop this from happening—we just need to have someone infiltrate the Gray Garrison, locate the wardstone fragment, and destroy it.”

While he said "Someone" he looked straight at the PCs. Commander John spoke next. "We've seen in the Hall of Heroes who the gods chose for this purpose. You have gone through a lot and proved yourself time and time again. We can send a large force in since that will alert everyone, and beside I doubt there will be place for large groups to fight in the Gray Garrison. For we have deducted that is the place where they hold the wardstone."

Sena was confused. "But... if something of it remain... why destroy it? Why not use it to rebuild defenses?" Andrew stepped in "I suspect a small fragment isn't enough for that. We can't take that risk anyway". Sena wasn't entirely convinced, but accepted this. (Always the suspicious bastard). Andera asked "But how do we go in? By the map there is a great horde of demons there!" Arabeth and chief Sul changed knowing glances. "That is where our combined forces come in. We attack simultaneously many places of import at once, drawing as many forces as we can." Andrew spoke "A diversion, but a very dangerous one". he spoke concerned. Arabeth nodded "Yes, but we'll be dead along all of Mendev's forces if we don't." Chief Sul bolstered "And we will relish the chance to fight once more! Now, MY people know their way under the city. They will lead you inside, past the defenses, close enough to the Gray Garrison, and then will fight inside the inner city, in covert attacks, hoping to cause yet more diversion." Andera exclaimed "You'll all be killed!" The leaders all looked grim. "Hopefully you make it fast enough inside so we won't".

This made the party squirm a bit.

Andrew put a finger on the south of the city. "What about Horus? Surely his men can divert more forces?" Arabeth shook her head. "His people fight valiantly, but they will not coordinate with us. I fear we're alone on this.". Andrew seemed to think. "What if... we place rumors that his forces are guarding something of great import, won't that draw many forces to him?" Sena gave a meaningful look to John. Arabeth shook her head. "I'm sorry, but that's... a tactic I won't take." Andrew was frustrated. "This is a desperate situation, it will help a greater cause surely, no?" (The party exchanged looks). Arabeth refused.

Sena asked a question. "But how do we exactly destroy this shard of the wardstone? It's a powerful magical item, no? You want us to just bash it?" Quendys pulled a rod and placed it on the table. "This is a rod of cancellation. It can draw the magical powers of an item and destroy it. Come close enough, and strike it. May take more than once, but it will eventually cancel it.

The party had a small discussion at who will hold it. They decided on Sena, who was surprised. ("In the toughest situations you always think of something and pull through!") he accepted the rod, with some reverence.

Andrew spoke "There are civilians here, who cannot fight. Send some soldiers, even the least experienced ones who won't help much in the diversion and send them over the walls, get them as far as possible from here. They cannot stay!" Quendys agreed and concluded the council. "We shall prepare the soldiers. It is vital that NO ONE of this room and the people Chief Sul appoints to you know of your mission. There may still be traitors amongst us. (Mad dog's player: "So which one is the traitor?") Prepare quickly, in about an hour we make our final assault!"

The party agreed, and grimly stepped outside.

Final preparations
    As they went outside Aravsh came by. "Harry? Come to me, I may have something to help you". Aravash gave him a stash he found at the ruins of the library (as per the module). It's a BIG loot drop, especially 2 wands of 3rd level. Amongst these there is also a Chime of opening ("Great! So we won't have to wit for you to pick locks!") which i kind of debated about, but though it might fir for a final adventure.

Nayla also approached Andera. "Sir, I have some news! Some of our... associates have returned." Once in private chambers she relays some news. "I know you are going into the Gray garrison..." Andera interrupts "wit, how do you know?" She just gives a half smile. "I have some information about it. Senest have acquired the plans for the first level, where he sought the sword (I gave the party the map of the first level. It seemed that at least some of them would know it already due to life in the city). Also, some of our scouts have witnessed the building from afar. It is... wrong... it seems like it shifts from here to... somewhere else. strange sounds, voices and more come from it, not fully of this world. (The party grumbled). And last, we hear of the one who is in command of the place- a woman favored by Deskari, One called Jaslyn. She is supposed to have some power over life and death. (The party started making guesses, from cleric to Oracle to witch to wizard)."

Andera thanked her, but asked her of one more favor. "Have someone keep... an eye on Quendys. To see if he is suspicious, or does something fishy. But give him the benefit of the doubt, and do not engage unless he risks operations". Nayla nodded and went off. (Sena's player: "How much can you trust HER exactly?")

Andera told the party his findings, but wasn't ready to reveal his sources ("And how much will we trust you?") but they tried their knowledge skills and even asked John, Quendys and Aravash. Though they didn't learn more of who Jeslyn is, they did find out that the phenomena of the Grey Garrison slipping in and out sounds like it was made to touch the Abyss somewhat, having effects leak from it here. More grumbles.

Spoiler: Gray Garrison slipping in and out?
    Show
    It's one of the changes I made to the last chapter. Not in the original module. I wanted the PCs to have a small taste of the true Abyss. We'll see next session.

Andrew went to find Millorn. The dwarf was quite excited. "The new people, the under people! I've seen them before, but their color is different, many multi shining colors! Not like before! There seem to be something big, something at balance here, soon, then!" He mimicked with his hands as if weighing things. "But... things may not be as it seem" He exchanged hands "Many whispers, many voices, cannot discern!" The others disregarded this as gibberish, but Andrew was alarmed.

The party got some more money due to their discoveries, (As per module) and used it to equip themselves more. Much of it went to the two casters, who just bought many scrolls, wanting to prepare for what will come. Andera finally lucked in and found something (He failed on most of his other rolls)- Daredevil boots. I guess he'll be tumbling like no tomorrow now!

Time to head out- towards the Gray Garrison!
    The four leaders came. I hoped for an inspiring speech from the PCs, or to do one from the leaders, but it was getting late so we skimmed through it: Laying out order for the troops, a few more encouraging words and the like, and people were heading out. John came to Sena, putting his hand on his shoulders. Sena spoke: "Look, I know you guys think you need to buy us time, but don't do anything too stupid! We don't need any new martyrs!" John smiled "Same to you. I... I knew this day will come, when you will be called upon great things. Since your birth... I... I just wished I could prepare you better. I guess you are as ready as you'll ever be." He hugged Sean and whispered "Be vigilant!". And then walked off. This left Sena quite confused.

Lann came to he party with a group of about 30 Mongrelfolk "This time I lead you, eh?" They decided to take Millorn with them, but they were quite surprised when Arabeth came to them. "I can't let you go alone. After what you've done for me, for my wife, for the city... I'm coming to fight alongside you." (The party, nearly all at once: "So SHE's the traitor!" I think I may have overdone it by this point) There was a short discussion whether to bring her or not (Mad dog's player against it) but they decided to have her join. Why? Because it will make the adventure more interesting. (I like my party! )

I gave them Arabeth char sheet ("Don't believe all it's written there! especially not alignment!") I made her a Cavalier instead of a Paladin, cause... well... we have a paladin, and I didn't want him overshadowed. I focused her on the teamwork feats and such. Harry plays her in battle.

They went into a nearby tunnel, and followed the mongrelfolk through them up till near the Arena. They went out, and Lann saluted the party. "See you again, on one of the sides!" and spread his folk into small guerrilla groups.

The party made their way towards the Gray Garrison, on the other side of the Arena. They passed where they started the adventure, it was shattered, a lot of blood, and no sign of Terendelev's corpse. They saw the Gray Garrison from afar, looking grim and... strangely stretched, as if close and far at the same time, with a strange hue to his walls. They hurried towards it.

Entrance to the Gray Garrison, battle with the Vermleks
    The party went through some ruined buildings, and reached before the entrance. They saw two Deskari cultists (This time they recognized the tell tale signs!) but also two other figures- one of Kandro Nysserian (THe guy who sold Arabeth's sword) but also Hurlun?!

A perception roll away they noticed something moving under their skin, and them not moving quite naturally. "Zombies!" cursed Sena.

The fight was quick and brutal. The cultists tried to at as buffer to enable the Vermleks to summon dretches, but Mad dog got behind and hit hard and disrupted a casting. The party were rolling really well on this battle, and the only damage the vermleks dealt was due to a single mass inflict light wounds. The party was confused (And disgusted) by the wormy nature of the demons, but were to focused on the job at hand.

It was time to enter the Gray Garrison.

Each Player's XP: 11,060!
    ---------------------------------------------------------

We ended it here, it was quite late! I think the next session will be the last in this module, and I wait to see what the party does with the last few encounters (Which I tweaked somewhat). Lets say there is a substantial surprise, and possible big twist at the end. As I said to the party "I may not fully adhere to the module, and some choices you make may alter it greatly".

We'll see, trying to set a date for next session. If you've enjoyed, or if you have questions, feel free to say something! Till next time,
    Kol.
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2014-04-16 at 06:22 AM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!