Four pages and not a single Iron Chef'd character? Disgraceful.
Yuuki Asuna, the Flash
Originally Posted by Cardinal System, Player Info. Subject: AsunaSpoiler: BasicsShowRace: Azurin
Build: Human Paragon 2/Battle Dancer 1/Paladin 4/Swordsage 1/Fighter 2/Iaijutsu Master 9/Blade Dancer 1
Ability Scores: 32 Point-Buy
Levels: +5 Dexterity
Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features 1st Human Paragon 1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Iaijutsu Focus 4, Profession (Cook) 4, Truespeak 4, Jump 4, Tumble 4, Diplomacy 4 Improved Initiative, Able Learner Adaptive Learning (Iaijutsu Focus) 2nd Battle Dancer 1 +1 +0 +2 +2 Iaijutsu Focus 5, Profession (Cook) 5, Truespeak 5, Jump 5, Tumble 5, Diplomacy 5 AC Bonus (Charisma to AC), Unarmed Strike (IUS, 1d6 Damage) 3rd Paladin 1 +2 +2 +2 +2 Iaijutsu Focus 6, Profession (Cook) 6, Truespeak 6, Jump 6, Tumble 5, Diplomacy 5 Quick Draw Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil 1/Day 4th Paladin 2 +3 +3 +2 +2 Iaijutsu Focus 7, Profession (Cook) 7, Truespeak 7, Jump 7, Tumble 5, Diplomacy 5 Divine Grace (Charisma to Saves), Lay on Hands 5th Paladin 3 (Golden Cup) +4 +3 +3 +3 Iaijutsu Focus 8, Profession (Cook) 8, Truespeak 8, Jump 8, Tumble 5, Diplomacy 5 Divine Health, Defend the Weak 6th Paladin 4 (Lion Legionnaire) +5 +4 +3 +3 Iaijutsu Focus 9, Profession (Cook) 9, Truespeak 9, Jump 9, Tumble 5, Diplomacy 5 Midnight Dodge Wild Fighting 7th Swordsage 1 +5 +4 +5 +5 Iaijutsu Focus 10, Profession (Cook) 10, Truespeak 10, Jump 10, Tumble 9, Diplomacy 5 Quick to Act +1, Discpline Focus: Weapon Focus (Diamond Mind) 8th Fighter 1 +6/+1 +6 +5 +5 Iaijutsu Focus 11, Profession (Cook) 11, Truespeak 11, Jump 11, Tumble 9, Diplomacy 5 Mobility [B] Bonus Feat 9th Fighter 2 +7/+2 +7 +5 +5 Iaijutsu Focus 12, Profession (Cook) 12, Truespeak 12, Jump 12, Tumble 9, Diplomacy 5 Shadow Blade, Spring Attack [B] Bonus Feat 10th Iaijutsu Master 1 +8/+3 +7 +7 +5 Iaijutsu Focus 13, Profession (Cook) 13, Truespeak 12, Jump 12, Tumble 13, Diplomacy 5 Weapon Finesse, Canny Defense (Intelligence to AC) 11th Iaijutsu Master 2 +9/+4 +7 +8 +5 Iaijutsu Focus 14, Profession (Cook) 14, Truespeak 12, Jump 12, Tumble 14, Diplomacy 8 Lightning Blade 12th Iaijutsu Master 3 +10/+5 +8 +8 +6 Iaijutsu Focus 15, Profession (Cook) 15, Truespeak 12, Jump 12, Tumble 15, Diplomacy 11 Elusive Target 13th Iaijutsu Master 4 +11/+6/+1 +8 +9 +6 Iaijutsu Focus 16, Profession (Cook) 16, Truespeak 12, Jump 12, Tumble 16, Diplomacy 14 Combat Expertise [B] Bonus Feat 14th Iaijutsu Master 5 +12/+7/+2 +8 +9 +6 Iaijutsu Focus 17, Profession (Cook) 17, Truespeak 12, Jump 12, Tumble 17, Diplomacy 17 Strike from the Void 15th Iaijutsu Master 6 +13/+8/+3 +9 +10 +7 Iaijutsu Focus 18, Profession (Cook) 18, Truespeak 12, Jump 14, Tumble 18, Diplomacy 18 Word Given Form 16th Iaijutsu Master 7 +14/+9/+4 +9 +10 +7 Iaijutsu Focus 19, Profession (Cook) 19, Truespeak 12, Jump 16, Tumble 19, Diplomacy 19 17th Iaijutsu Master 8 +15/+10/+5 +9 +11 +7 Iaijutsu Focus 20, Profession (Cook) 20, Truespeak 12, Jump 18, Tumble 20, Diplomacy 20 One Strike, Two Cuts 18th Iaijutsu Master 9 +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +11 +8 Iaijutsu Focus 21, Profession (Cook) 21, Truespeak 12, Jump 20, Tumble 21, Diplomacy 21 Bounding Assault, Dodge [B] Bonus Feat 19th Blade Dancer 1 +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +13 +8 Iaijutsu Focus 22, Profession (Cook) 22, Truespeak 12, Jump 22, Tumble 22, Diplomacy 22 Acrobatics +10, Leap of the Clouds, Fast Movement (60ft) 20th Human Paragon 2 +18/+13/+8/+3 +10 +13 +9 Iaijutsu Focus 23, Profession (Cook) 23, Truespeak 12, Jump 23, Tumble 23, Diplomacy 22 Rapid Blitz [B] Bonus Feat
Spoiler: Swordsage ManeuversShowManeuvers: 6 Known, 4 Readied
Level 1: Sudden Leap (Tiger Claw), Burning Blade (Desert Wind), Wind Stride (Desert Wind), Burning Brand (Desert Wind), Counter Charge (Setting Sun)
Level 2: Claw at the Moon (Tiger Claw)
Stances: 1 Known
Level 1: Child of Shadow (Shadow Hand)
Spoiler: Asuna in DnD 3.5eShowForeword: Adaptations Are Weird
Unlike Kirito, the Black Swordsman of Aincrad, Asuna doesn't see much combat. She fights alongside Kirito, yes, but overall she's made out to be a rather powerless character - heck, she even gets Stuffed in the Fridge during the ALFheim arc. I've only watched the Sword Art Online anime so I don't know if she's any different in the manga, but I've built her as best I could based on what little I've been given.
Weaponry: Lambent Light
Asuna only uses one weapon: her rapier, Lambent Light. She has no shield and no secondary weapon, and she usually doesn't dual-wield it. Of course, in DnD 3.5e, this is possibly the worst combat style. Even unarmed strikes get some support; out of dozens of splatbooks, einhanders only have two or three feats. Half of those don't even need you to fight with one weapon!
However, there are ways to build a character like this. This Asuna will be using a singular weapon: a +1 Rapier with the Adaptive quality. Most importantly, this allows it to be used with the Iaijutsu Master's various katana-specific abilities and with the Shadow Blade feat.
Combat: Triple Threat!
Asuna has three different methods of combat available to her.
A Running Start: Ideally, Asuna will rely on her speed to deal damage while keeping out of harm's way.
- Rapid Blitz lets her make three "attack actions" while moving her full 60ft movement speed each round. These attacks are made at +18/+13/+8. If she adds in the Wind Stride maneuver, her movement speed increases to 80ft.
- One Strike, Two Cuts lets her deal damage twice with a single attack action.
- Child of Shadow grants her 20% concealment if she moves at least 10 feet in a round.
- In combination, these abilities let her make six attacks per round against any targets within range of her 60ft movement speed. Her attack routine is +18/+18/+13/+13/+8/+8.
- Note: It's unclear whether these two vague and rarely-used rules combine like this. However, I have asked about it and I received a sorta-confirmation that it probably would. Since the Spring Attack line of feats don't benefit from ubercharging or two-weapon fighting, this is probably the best way to make it an effective combat style.
Standing Still: If she's in a situation where she can't actually escape an enemy's threatened range, she'll fall back on reflexes and finesse.
- Dodge grants her +1 AC against a single target. Midnight Dodge grants her +2 AC against a second target.
- Word Given Form grants her a 50% miss chance against both her Dodge and Midnight Dodge targets.
- Elusive Target lets her remove her Dodge and Midnight Dodge targets' Power Attack benefits while forcing them to keep the penalties.
- Combat Finesse grants her some extra AC against all attacks, and Defend the Weak lets her share this bonus with an adjacent ally.
- Wild Fighting effectively gives her the ability to flurry with any weapon, taking a -2 penalty to all attacks so that she can make an extra attack each round.
- In combination, these abilities gives her a high chance of dodging attacks while reducing the potential damage of any attacks which do get through.
Striking First and Last: Asuna acts before you do, and she knows where to strike best.
- Iaijutsu Focus grants her between +4d6 and +8d6 bonus damage on attacks made against flat-footed targets after she draws a weapon.
- Strike from the Void lets her add her Charisma modifier to her Iaijutsu Focus damage dice. For every +1d6 Iaijutsu Focus damage, she adds an additioanl +3 damage from her Charisma modifier. The running total is between +4d6+12 and +8d6+24 bonus damage.
- Lightning Blade lets her add her Charisma modifier to initiative checks.
- Improved Initiative grants her a flat +4 bonus to initiative checks.
- In combination, these abilities give her a chance to end the fight before it begins. Maybe.
Assorted Benefits: X to Y Wuz Here
Asuna has three primary attributes: Dexterity, Charisma and Intelligence.
- She uses her Dexterity bonus for her attack rolls (Weapon Finesse) and adds it to her damage rolls (Shadow Blade).
- She adds her Charisma modifier to AC (Battle Dancer), Saves (Divine Grace). As mentioned above, she also adds it to her initiative checks (Lighting Blade) and Iaijutsu Focus damage dice (Strike from the Void).
- She adds her Intelligence modifier to AC (Canny Defense).
Varia: Skills and Talents
Asuna's got a few other skills. Profession (Cook) has obvious relevance, but she's also got some ridiculous Jump and Tumble skill checks via Acrobatics, Leap of the Clouds and her movement speed bonuses. Although her deurantagonist status keeps us from being sure, it seems reasonable to give her Diplomacy (for when the times when she actually gets to speak for herself).
Spoiler: ReferencesShowUnearthed Arcana: Human Paragon.
Oriental Adventures: Blade Dancer, Iaijutsu Master, Iaijutsu Focus.
Tome of Battle: Swordsage, Shadow Blade, maneuvers and stances.
Tome of Magic: Truespeak, Word Given Form (sidebar, page 218).
Magic of Incarnum: Azurin, Midnight Dodge.
Complete Warrior: Elusive Target
Player's Handbook II: Bounding Assault, Rapid Blitz
Races of Destiny: Able Learner
Champions of Valor: Paladin Substitution Levels (Golden Cup, Lion Legionnaire)