"All it required was a cocktail of dangerous, experimental surgery and a willingness to ignore the unnecessary suffering of perfectly innocent beings! Also, I shot magic into their chromosomes until they turned inside-out."
To a normal scientist the field of biollurgy can allow you to create monsters, servants, weapons and buildings, geneticists see this as only the beginning. They can use their knowledge to modify and enhance any form of life; from walls and blades of biostructure, to constructed chassis, or even their companions. They can also use their biollurgical expertise to mend the sick and restore the wounded.
Game Rule Information
Abilities: The main abilities of Geneticist are wisdom and intelligence, wisdom improves their healing skill and governs how well they can apply gramaric principles, intelligence determine how many skills points they have so they can be proficient in the disciplines of gramarie.
Hit Die: d8
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier
Training Points per Level: 5
Class Skills: The geneticist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Forgery (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis) and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Training 1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Organic science, plasmids, principles 5 2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Recess plasmid 10 3rd +2 +1 +1 +3 Combat medic 15 4th +3 +1 +1 +4 Surgical deformation 20 5th +3 +1 +1 +4 Bonus Feat, sphere of influence 25 6th +4 +2 +2 +5 Takwin 30 7th +5 +2 +2 +5 Genetics transfusion 35 8th +6/+1 +2 +2 +6 Back on their feet, bonus Feat 40 9th +6/+1 +3 +3 +6 Improved surgical deformation 45 10th +7/+2 +3 +3 +7 Sphere of influence 50 11th +8/+3 +3 +3 +7 Bonus Feat, hostile plasmids 55 12th +9/+4 +4 +4 +8 Emergency action, upgrade takwin 60 13th +9/+4 +4 +4 +8 Biostructure specialist 65 14th +10/+5 +4 +4 +9 Bonus feat 70 15th +11/+6/+1 +5 +5 +9 Mastered surgical deformation, sphere of influence 75 16th +12/+7/+2 +5 +5 +10 Always on call 80 17th +12/+7/+2 +5 +5 +10 Bonus feat 85 18th +13/+8/+3 +6 +6 +11 Upgrade takwin 90 19th +14/+9/+4 +6 +6 +11 Medical mastery 95 20th +15/+10/+5 +6 +6 +12 Birth of knowledge, bonus feat 100
All of the following are class features of the geneticist.
Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: As a geneticist you are proficient with all simple weapons, as well as light armour.
Principles of Gramarie (Su): As a student of gramarie, you have many avenues of learning available to you. At each level, you gain a number of training points as indicated above. These points of training may be used to learn principles, which are supernatural (Su) abilities which bend or break the laws of physics, but not quite in the same way that most magic does. Some principles have additional requirements which must be met as well - see their descriptions for details. Principles can be used whenever you have the time, materials and inclination; they are effectively usable at-will if you are in an appropriate situation. Each principle is part of a discipline and each discipline has a key skill associated with it. A student of gramarie may not spend more than three training points on principles from a discipline per skill rank they have in that discipline's key skill. If a principle references your Training, it refers to the total number of training points you have invested in that principle's discipline.
A principle is not cast, it is prepared. By preparing a principle multiple times, you can change the volume or size of the target affected. For example, if a principle targets 1 cubic foot of material, by preparing it twice (and thus spending twice as long on it) you could target 2 cubic feet of the material instead. A special case is made for bubbles, which are spherical effects. For more information on the size of bubbles, refer to the miscellaneous section at the end of this document. Preparing a principle is similar to crafting an item. When preparing a principle, follow these steps:
- Find the principle's preparation time in rounds. To do so, multiply the time in minutes by ten.
- Determine the base preparation DC by adding 15 to the principle's training point cost. You may voluntarily increase this DC in increments of 5 to work faster.
- Make all the appropriate choices for the preparation. Gather the materials and spend the preparation time working. You must be able to touch the target of the principle for the duration of the preparation.
- If the principle is being used on a creature or attended object and allows a save, that save is made at this time. The save type is based on the principle in question, but the save DC is always 10 + 1/6 Training + Wisdom modifier.
- Make a Gramarie Check of 1d20 + 1/3 Training + Wisdom Modifier. You can gain a bonus of up to +2 from having access to masterwork tools.
- Compare your check to the preparation DC. If you fail by 4 or less, you make no progress preparing the principle. If you fail by 5 or more, you ruin half the required materials, damage the target of the principle or otherwise make some grave error. Otherwise, you succeed in making progress.
- To determine how much progress was made, multiply the result of the check by the preparation DC and then add any prior progress. If the final value exceeds the preparation time in rounds, you have finished preparing the principle with a quality equal to your current training. If the final value is not high enough, add the resulting progress to the next attempt to prepare the principle.
Any progress beyond that needed to prepare the principle can be applied to further preparations, or, (if there is enough progress made) to prepare the principle multiple times in a single session. If multiple gramarists know the same principle, they can work simultaneously on the same project. Sum the progress of each gramarist participating in order to determine the total progress.
A gramarist may make a Gramarie check at any time to 'lock' a principle that has been prepared, meaning that only he can continue work on it later. Bypassing the lock requires making a Gramarie check 5 higher than the check made to lock the principle. Both locking a principle or bypassing the lock require one minute of work.
Organic Science: Being extremely focused in the sciences of the body and life, you can only learn principles from the disciplines of alchemetry (ALCH), biollurgy (BIOY), geoccultism (GEOC), and heuristicism (HEUR). At 1st level you have access to [Thesis] Biollurgy principles. Finally, the geneticist can use their Heal ranks as the Key Skill of any discipline, though they take a -10 penalty when they do so.
Plasmids (Su): The specialty of the geneticist is their ability to induce changes and mutations in creatures through experimentation and surgery. These changes are applied by injecting the creature with a plasmid, which contains a mutation. A geneticist can give a creature a plasmid with an hours work per the number of plasmids they will possess once they gain the one being applied, and costs 100 gp of materials per hour.
A creature can have a number of plasmids equal to half it's constitution score (minimum 1)(ignoring constitution increases from plasmids), but each mutation can only be gained a number of times per the creatures HD as if it was an evolutionist. The mutator level of the mutation is equal to the average of the Geneticist's level and the creature's HD (rounded down). For a creature to gain a plasmid they must meet all the prerequisites of the mutation.
A geneticist only knows a small number of mutations that it can induce; learning the procedure for one mutation of their choice for every rank in the Heal skill they possess. In addition, they can learn new procedures from other geneticists and from in-depth examination of the physiology of specific creatures. A geneticist can learn a number of mutation procedures in this way equal to twice their heal ranks.
Recess Plasmids: Upon reaching second level, the geneticist can deactivate plasmids. Removing a plasmid requires two hours of work per plasmid the target possesses and a Heal check (DC 10 + target's Fortitude bonus).
Combat Medic (Ex): Starting at 3rd level a geneticist becomes adept at providing medical attention to his allies in tight conditions. By making a successful Heal check (DC 10 + their HD) as a standard action he can remove all nonlethal damage on an adjacent ally or heal them 1 hit point per class level. The geneticist can only provide this benefit to an ally once every three hours. A geneticist can treat himself with this ability, but within the same time restriction. This ability provokes attacks of opportunity.
Surgical Deformation (Ex): A fourth level geneticist can take the time to deform and disable a creature with their surgical expertise. With an hours work, they can make a helpless creature affected by Bestow Curse. This is non-magical, and can only be removed with a heal check (DC 10 + Heal Ranks) that takes at least two hours or an effect that regrows body parts like regeneration.
At 9th level, this ability can be used with only five minutes work. At 15th level, this ability only requires a full-round action.
Bonus Feat: At fifth level and every three levels thereafter, the geneticist gains a [Plasmid] feat they meet the prerequisites of as a bonus feat.
Sphere of Influence: At 5th level, and again at 10th level and 15th level, your experimentation and research allows you to pursue new fields of study. Every time you gain this class feature, you can select one of your available disciplines of gramarie in order to gain access to [Thesis] tagged principles of that discipline, or another tag in a discipline you already have [Thesis] access with.
Alternatively, you can choose a new discipline of gramarie, in which case you can now choose principles from that field of study as well as your existing disciplines.
Takwin: At sixth level, the geneticist can create a form of life to follow them and serve as a companion. This creature acts as a tiny sized aberration biollurgical chassis, except for the following:
- It doesn't count as a chassis for the purpose of being the target of gramaric principles.
- Hit Dice is equal to the geneticists class level.
- Adding plasmids to a takwin has no cost.
- The sum of the tawkin's strength and dexterity scores are double the tawkins constitution score, but neither score can be more than double the other.
- The tawkin's constitution score is equal to half the geneticists heal ranks + 10.
- The tawkin's mental ability scores are all 10, but for the purposes of mutation prerequisites they are 19.
Genetic Transfusion (Su): A seventh level geneticist can properly modify the genetics of a creature. They gain a Bloodline point every level, which can be expended with 24 hours worth of dedicated research. One point can purchase knowledge of a Minor Strength Bloodline, two points can purchase knowledge of a Moderate Strength Bloodline, three points can purchase knowledge of a Major Strength Bloodline. With three hours work, a geneticist can infuse a living creature's genetics with a bloodline he has knowledge of, granting that bloodline to the creatures offspring. A creature can only have one bloodline added to a creatures genetics in this way at a time, with additional uses replacing the previous.
Back On Their Feet (Ex): Beginning at 8th level when a geneticist successfully treat someone with his combat medic class feature he provides far more than a few bandages. With the whole of the geneticists medical expertise he can also allow them to make a new saving throw against any ongoing condition affecting them. The geneticist can now provide aid to a given creature once per hour.
Hostile Plasmids (Su): Some geneticists can create plasmids that weaken rather than improve. Hostile plasmids do not function as normal plasmids instead they are poisons. Your Heal ranks count as Craft (Poison) ranks, and the poisons you create are immune to effects that would cure poisons and are instead removed by spells and effects that would remove a plasmid. In addition, poison immunity gives only a +10 circumstance bonus on saves against the poison rather than actually making the creature immune to it.
Emergency Action (Ex): Beginning at 12th level, a geneticist can use his combat medic class feature to save an ally a lesser surgeon might have lost. If he can perform this ability on an ally who has died within two rounds of their death the geneticist can bring them back from the brink with no penalty. The combat medic ability now heals 2 hit points per class level and can be used on a given creature once every ten minutes.
Upgrade Takwin: At 12th and 18th level, the geneticist can make a severe improvements to the takwin. At both of these intervals, you may select one of the following changes to make to the takwin:
- Armour: The geneticist can spend a standard action while adjacent to the takwin to merge with it, following the fusion rules of the symbiote mutation.
- Horde: The geneticist gains another takwin.
- Malleable: The takwin's constitution score is doubled for the purpose of how many plasmids they can have.
- Roboticisation: The takwin's type changes to Construct with the Living subtype.
- Size Increase: The geneticist can spend 4 hours work to change the size of their takwin. When doing this, they can change the takwins size to and from; tiny, small, medium, or large. This doesn't change the ability scores of the takwin.
Biostructure Specialist (Ex): Whenever a 13th level geneticist uses an attack, effect or skill that would heal or deal hit point damage against Biostructure or a Biollurgical chassis, the amount of hit points affected is doubled.
Always on Call (Ex): Beginning at 16th level the geneticist can provide aid to his allies perpetually with his combat medic class feature. The geneticist can now use the ability as often as he likes.
Medical Mastery (Ex): Starting at 19th level a geneticist is a master of life and death, and probably the best doctor in the world. Whenever he use his combat medic class feature the geneticist can instead use it as a full-round action, to fully restore a creatures hit points.
Birth of Knowledge: Upon reaching 20th level, the geneticist's research and testing into biollurgy has borne great fruit. The geneticist gains one Theory that they meet the prerequisites of, though the theory must have training in a discipline you have [Thesis] access for as a prerequisite.
Prerequisites: No constitution score.
Benefit: For the purpose of how many plasmids you can have, you may use your charisma score rather than your constitution score.
Normal: Creatures without a constitution score can only have one plasmid.
Forest of Monsters [Plasmid]
Prerequisites: Geoccultism training 10, plasmids, Thesis access for Geoccultism.
Benefit: You can spend a full-round action while in contact with a geoccultism pole that has at least one plasmid to aggressively activate a plasmid, or to stop the plasmid from being aggressively active. While a geoccultic pole has a plasmid aggressively active, it broadcasts the mutation into it's bubble, giving every living creature born in the area has a chance of being born with that plasmid if they would meet the mutations prerequisites, the chance equal to a tenth of their Geoccultism training, as a percentage. Geoccultism poles use up an additional 5 pounds of fuel each day while it has an aggressively active plasmid.
Liar's Grafting [Plasmid]
Benefit: You may ignore type prerequisites when inducing a mutation, by doubling that plasmids manufacturing cost.
Normal: You cannot apply construct, elemental, plant, etc. mutations on creatures without access to those lists of mutations.
Prerequisites: 11 Constitution
Benefit: You gain Damage Reduction 5/-, that only applies to non-lethal damage. In addition, you can have one additional plasmid beyond normal.
Mental Metabolism [Plasmid]
Prerequisites: Psychomantics training 10, plasmids, Thesis access for Psychomantics.
Benefit: You may spend a full-round action to alter the metabolism of an adjacent living creature to be much more mental, or to revert such a change. A creature altered in this way can sustance as if they had eaten and drunk for the day by spending 10 minutes taking no actions aside from thinking, with either a successfuly autohypnosis or concentration check (DC 30), or by spending 10 power points. The Difficulty Class of the check is reduced by 5 for every 20 points of training in Psychomantics, and the power point cost is reduced by 1 for every 10 points of training in Psychomantics.
Plasmid Research [Plasmid]
Benefit: Select three mutations. You can apply these mutations with your plasmid ability.
Special: This feat can be gained multiple times.
Prerequisite: 60 Training in Biollurgy, Plasmids
Preparation Time: 6 hours
Organisms sometimes work together; this could be providing shelter to one another, defend the weaker of the two, or trading valuable resources between each other. Generally this connection is only recognized in regards to two or more species working together in a symbiotic or parasitic relationship, but the true is that every creature is the result of thousands upon thousands of organisms working together to form their bodies. By exploiting your understanding that each creature is simply a mass of cells, you can combine the cells which form different creatures into one form.
This principle requires two creatures that are both helpless, of the aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze or vermin types, and only possess racial hit dice. This functions as two creatures merging through the symbiosis mutation, except for the following:
- The fused entity is treated as if it had one type of the two participants (the geneticist's choice which), though all of subtypes of the participants.
- The fused entity has a number of HD equal to the highest hit die of the participants, though the type of die is based on the creature type. Its hit points are determined by the creatures new HD and Constitution score.
- The fused entity has a single initiative modifier, set by its combined feats, ability scores, mutations and any other effects that modify it. It rolls initiative once for the whole creation and only possesses a single turn each turn.
- The fused entity has the best base attack bonus determined by it's HD and type.
- The fused entity uses the best base saves of the creatures HD and Type, modified by its new ability score bonuses.
- The fused entity has it's skill ranks determined from it's Type, HD, and intelligence score.
- The fused entity has a number of feats based on it's HD. It's suggested that it selects the same feats as the original two entities possessed.
- The fused entity cannot exit the fused state.
- For the purpose of spawning new young, the geneticist must choose one method of reproduction from one of the participants. This method is used for the fused entity, but the fused entity counts as a separate species to it's original participant species and has to mate with its own species to reproduce if it needs to mate.
Bloodlines - UA
Bloodlines - Welknair
Mutations - Draken