Quote Originally Posted by Adam1949 View Post
Someone remembers my math-crunching! Yay!
I actually compiled as much info from the thread pertaining to the creation of mythos classes as I was able to find in my cursory read-through. It's all just pasted into a word document, so I can't be certain where it all comes from. I would like to note, however, that none of it is my original writing.

Spoiler: Mythos Guidelines
Show
I define Play-Ready as the following:
Able to be played, without dipping or multiclassing, from levels 1 to 20
Has enough Mythos available so as to get one whenever the table says you gain one
Has enough Excellencies that you would gain one whenever the table says you gain one
AT LEAST one "Shintai", or game-changing Mythos, at Legendary rank

Note that these requirements do not specify the ability to purchase Mythos, Manifestations, or excellencies, as that ability is not strictly necessary in order to play the class. As such, here are the numbers:

Exceptional: 4
Fantastic: 3
Legendary: 3 (AT LEAST one of which must be a Shintai)
Exalted: 2
Excellencies: 14

Exceptional Mythos are things that awesome people do. They're the bread and butter of the class, where you put building blocks for later Fantastic and Legendary Mythos, and also where you put interesting, fluffy asides, such as the Sacrosanct Blood-Titan Idol Adoption.
Fantastic Mythos are things that superheroes and supervillains do. They often grant serious, large-scale effects on the world around their bearer, though most of them are still limited to the immediate area. You could take over a kingdom pretty trivially, but you're still a ways away from having "take over the world" written on your character sheet. Think the Humanity-Reaving Psychosis Echo.
Legendary Mythos are things that elevate you above what most people consider conceptually reasonable - in sensible stories, you're relegated to "plot device" for fear of what you might do to the rest of the script. You are by definition an important player in the campaign world, and Legendary Mythos should back that up. This is also where Shintai Mythos come into play, which actually change the way you play the character, representing a fundamental transition from individual character into archetype.
Exalted Mythos are capstones.They are more awesome than the stuff I just described. In Mythos-land, these are the things that make the highest, oldest gods what they are. The laws of physics exist because a dozen or so people with Exalted Mythos got together and said so. So really, go nuts, you won't break anything at level 19 and 20.
Excellencies are the things that awesome people do, but that don't get space in the headlines. A Teramach is good at running and jumping, but no one tells stories about it. An Olethrofex is a master of esoteric knowledge skills, but I wouldn't ask someone to get that and not Clad In Broken Hopes And Stolen Dreams. They aren't necessarily weak - Obstreperous Shell-Cracking Mien says hello - but they don't steal the show like Mythos are supposed to. This is where you most likely want to put any necessary math fixes, since the class you create will probably want to do something at some point that doesn't jive with D&D's generic assumptions.

And a piece of general advice on Mythos: a Mythos class follows no logic but its own. Logic is a function of physics, and Mythic powers are older than physics, so they've got a grandfather clause. The only reason low-level Mythic characters don't wreck the world too badly is because they haven't tapped into their line-item veto on reality hard enough. Yet.

Also, I've come up with a good rule of thumb on making a Mythos Class (one with 8 characters on the banner): There should be, at minimum, one unambiguously GOOD character and one unambiguously EVIL character as examples. That way, it becomes more obvious that a Legend need not be a hero or a villain despite their abilities; to use an example, both Nicol Bolas and Harry Dresden on the Kathados, or Pinkie Pie and the Lord of Chaos Undivided on the Epicurean. The list goes on: AKU and Corvus, Link and Sephiroth, Kamina and Ragyo, et cetera... Long story short, a Mythic character should be able to be both a savior and a destroyer, a hero and a villain. That's just my opinion, though.

I hope having it all together in one place will help.