Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
Entirely possible; I actually gave them a d10 when I started but then increased it later on. I'd like to know what you think when you see the blood sacrifice costs. (The mechanics, by the way, are in the Invocations class ability and the cost is in the invocation descriptions. I'll make it a bit more clear. And I think I forgot to do the descriptions of how invocations work like the warlock list has, even if most people know. I'll add that a bit later.)
I would just add a section for the Blood Sacrifice, basically just split that off into a separate section were you say exactly that. It's a pandemic in 3.X stuff to have stuff buried into other abilities. Something like the following:

Blood Sacrifice:

Some of the Haematurge's abilities require a blood sacrifice, this is the first thing that a Haematurge learns to do by striking himself with a dagger, this is a (whatever kind of action you put on it) action, and the amount of damage done is variable depending on the sacrifice required by the invocation or power. I'd also put in a section describing the interaction with his gained DR later.

Fixed the duration thing. The other bit wouldn't work, as reabsorbing them only allows him to be healed, it doesn't actually heal him. This might not be clear enough; suggestions for rewrite?
I'd just add a clarified statement. "Reabsorbing the item can only heal the wound caused by the sacrifice, if those have been healed through other means, reabsorbing the item has no effect". Or alternatively you could go the other direction and allow him to use it to gain Temporary hit points. Since carrying around blood that he uses to heal himself is probably actually very thematically appropriate. And a means to gain temp hit points would definitely work to aid this character.

As said, damage isn't the primary goal here. I'll work on some more powerful options, or possibly some scaling. Undead aren't immune to sickening, oddly enough; they're only immune to things that require Fortitude saves. I clarified, but Call to Life has no effect on the negative energy spill.
That is odd, although I guess it works.

Y'know, it might be more useful and less complicated if instead of level loss it gave some ability burn. At 20th level true resurrection isn't exorbitantly expensive, and a Healer can do it without killing himself.
Or, or... you could have it confer some kind of benefit that True Resurrection doesn't. Like a dominate person affect or somesuch. Something that is slightly different, I mean they are literally being powered by your life-force, that should imbue you with some means of control, I think that might fit better the flavor you're looking for.