1. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Competition XXVII - I, Construct

CLOCKWORK GUARDIAN
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

Towering over you is a giant imitation of a man, gears and cogs poking out of its frame. A single lens-like eye focuses on you as a three-fingered hand clenches in wary anticipation. One arm ends in what seems to be a cannon of some kind, electricity arcing and crackling from its barrel. At a command, the construct brings its weapon to bear on you and fires a lightning bolt in your direction.

CLOCKWORK GUARDIAN CR 8
    XP 4,800
    Neutral Large Construct (clockwork)
    Init +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +0

Defenses

AC 23, Touch 15, flatfooted 18 (+3 Dex, +2 dodge, +8 natural armor)
    hp 85 (10d10+30)
    Fort + 3, Ref +8, Will +3
    DR 5/adamantine; Immune construct traits
    Weaknesses Vulnerable to electricity

Offenses

Speed 40 ft.
    Melee Slam +21/+16 (1d6+11)
    Ranged Musket +12 (+14 if braced) (2d8) (Sniper only)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks Arc cannon (60-ft. line, 4d6 electric damage, Reflex DC 15 for half, usable every 1d4 rounds)

Statistics

Str 33, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Base Atk +10; CMB +22; CMD 25
    Feats Improved Initiative (B), Lightning Reflexes (B)
    SQ efficient winding, swift reactions, scavenge, difficult to create

Special Abilities

Efficient Winding (Ex) A clockwork guardian can function for 3 days per Hit Die every time it is wound.

Vulnerable to Electricity: Clockwork guardians take 150% damage from electricity damage.

Swift Reactions (Ex) Clockwork guardians react more quickly than other constructs. They gain Improved Initiative and Lightning Reflexes as bonus feats, as well as a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Scavenge (Ex) A clockwork guardian can scavenge parts from other clockwork constructs to repair damage done to itself. The guardian can spend a full minute (10 full rounds) collecting parts from a clockwork construct that has been reduced to 0 hit points and destroyed. The maximum amount of healing that can be done in this manner per construct is as follows: 25% of maximum hp for Medium constructs, 50% for Large constructs, 75% for Huge constructs, and full healing to max hit points when scavenging Gargantuan or larger constructs. Constructs of Small or smaller size are incapable of providing parts compatible with a guardian’s framework; guardians are incapable of scavenging clockwork constructs smaller than Medium size. The guardian must be uninterrupted by damage or combat maneuvers during this time, or the process is interrupted and it must start again.

Musket (Ex) Clockwork sniper models replace their Arc cannon with a Large-sized musket. Due to the magic that creates it, a sniper never needs to replenish its ammunition supply. They still have to spend a move action to reload their weapon, however. Both muskets and arc cannons are directly integrated into one of the construct’s arms, so they can be wielded one-handed. However, in place of the normal penalties for wielding a two-handed ranged weapon one-handed, clockwork guardians only suffer a -2 penalty on attack rolls with their ranged weapons. Alternatively, clockwork guardians can spend a move action to brace their weapon with the other arm, removing the ranged penalty.

Ecology

Environment any
    Organization Solitary, pair, trio, guard unit (4-5)
    Treasure standard

Innovated by the genius of the Great Inventor, clockwork guardians were meant to serve to serve as powerful heavy infantry to complement standard troops when fighting large monsters. Their design was so popular that several wizards learned the process of their creation themselves and made them to serve as personal bodyguards. Unfortunately, as is the way with many innovations, nations began constructing squads of clockwork guardians and send them forth against each other. They were outfitted with specially designed arc cannons to wipe out small groups of infantry, while special sniper models were tasked with eliminating key enemy officers. Guardians became feared as much as celebrated, and eventually an agreement was reached to limit their production. Now, only a select few individuals are trusted with crafting these mechanical soldiers.

What came as a surprise to everyone, however, was when some of the constructs actually came to show signs of intelligence. A noteworthy example is when a guardian saved its creator’s daughter from a rockslide without prior orders to protect her. These intelligent guardians show a devotion to their creators and those close to them that goes beyond the simple obedience of other constructs. This has raised questions as to whether they are merely proactive like clockwork servants or if they show true sentience.

“Awakened” guardians typically possess the following skills and feats: Combat Reflexes, Bodyguard, In Harm’s Way, Skill Focus (Perception), Improved Grapple, Perception +10, Sense Motive +6, Intimidate +1. For clockwork snipers, Improved Grapple is replaced by Precise Shot. Intelligent guardians have an Intelligence score of 11 and understand their creator’s primary language. These guardians only speak in their own mysterious language, however, which consists of steam whistling, gear grinding, and rasping metal groans. The Linguistics skill may allow someone to learn what the sounds mean, but they cannot replicate the sounds due to their lack of clockwork components.

Clockwork guardians are about 12 feet tall and weigh 2,000 pounds.

CONSTRUCTION
    The creator of a clockwork guardian must start with crafted clockwork pieces worth 1,500 gp. In addition, models that include the built-in musket must also provide a Large musket of at least masterwork quality. This is not included in the cost.

Clockwork Guardian
    CL 12th; Price 48,000 gp (86,400 for an intelligent guardian)
    Construction
    Requirements Craft Construct, geas/quest and dragon’s breath (abundant ammunition for clockwork snipers), creator must be at least of caster level 12th; Skill Craft (clockwork) DC 20; Cost 25,000 gp (45,000 for an intelligent guardian)

I would very much like commentary and critique on this entry. I have been planning this one for a while, and would like feedback. I hope to eventually work it into one of the campaigns I am involved in, so playability is one of my chief concerns.

I don't expect to win points for originality, but I have always loved the clockwork men from Rise of Legends. I thought they would fill an empty niche for more mundane shooters than the clockwork mage and a size gap between clockwork soldiers and clockwork goliaths.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-09-23 at 08:15 PM.