1. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Blades and Bows: More Interesting Weapons for Interesting Adventurers

These are really, really cool. These special abilities and additional damage types make for a lot of weapon variety, where before weapons were pretty much identical.

My main suggestion is avoid falling into the trap of trying to make things too realistic. Outside of it being a fantasy roleplaying game, the system isn't mechanically suitable for emulating real life. In any case, realism should always take a backseat to game balance; otherwise, you basically create trap options for inexperienced players.

Another thing to keep in mind,

Specific criticisms:
    1. Ignoring Light Armor: This appears in many tricks. In this game, light armor can offer better protection than heavy or medium armor, such as if it's magical or made of mithral. In the real world, these materials don't exist, so it might make sense; however, in this game, it doesn't. Furthermore, it hits unreasonably hard on characters that wear light armor for a living, and these are usually very squishy already (e.g. rogues). They don't need to be hit any harder than they already are. My suggestion is to remove it.
    2. Great Hammer (Advanced): Permanent reductions to armor, especially to natural armor, are a really, really bad idea. They will exclusively affect the players, and basically end up ruining their hard-earned gear, which will frustrate them. The effect on natural armor is even worse, since you can't replace your natural armor. You basically make the PCs cursed forever. There is also the question of how it interacts with an enhancement bonus to natural armor. My suggestion is to increase the bonus and make it last for the encounter.
    3. Editing: The post is littered with small mistakes and requires a lot of editing. You often forget to add the duration of an effect, and so forth. There are similar issues.
    Last edited by Syne; 2014-10-05 at 03:26 PM.
    Books and the people who read them.
    Sometimes, a little madness is a good thing.