View Single Post

Thread: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase VI

1. - Top - End - #766
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase VI

Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    As a general rule of thumb, avatars look better with consistent line weights (how thick lines are)..In the Winter Wolf Slayer, the line weights vary considerably, probably because you drew the weapons and accessories separately from the base figure at a different size, and when you rescaled them to fit, the line weight scaled along with it. Vector programs should have a way to keep line weights the same while resizing. Although it's been awhile, I believe there was a "Keep Lines Proportional" option in Adobe Illustrator that you could uncheck to do this. I'm guessing you'll find something similar in Inkscape.
    Thank you muchly for the advice. Keeping the line width was something I've between trying to work out - its one of my major issues with my current avatar. With the next one, Boba Fett, I tried to keep it more consistent, but his design is relatively simple and with wider lines on the small stuff you can lose a lot of detail. With "Dwarven Constitution" I was trying to show thickness, like the plate and boots were heavy and strong, but obviously thats not the impression it puts across.

Things to consider, thanks again for the advice and that link! Looks like it will be very....handy (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Edit: made some initial updates to the slayer avie in the ext sig from your suggestions. A bit better, but I'm still working on it. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Tarvus; 2015-01-10 at 10:45 AM.
    You think Tucker's Kobolds were bad, now imagine them with Rust Monster Mounts. Oh and they're druids, that use wooden armor. Thank-you and Have a Nice Day

Libris Mortis isn't as bad latin as people say.

Terrible Winterwolf Slayer avatar by myself. Check out the others on my extended signature.