View Single Post

Thread: Leadership- when, where, and how?

1. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Leadership- when, where, and how?

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    Well, in order to make a system to quantify all of a character's assets, we'd need to set up and create a metric and mechanic that is balanced with the mechanic casters use to create items.

...Perhaps, as a general rule of thumb, maybe the mechanic should be about gathering more resources via investment, administration and property exploitation, whereas the wizard is utilizing mechanics to save existing resources.
    One of the things that's hard about homebrewing is that it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Everything in D&D is tied together and most parts of 3.5 could use some tweaking for balance, or just to help them fit better together.

The crafting system is also in major need of revision, at the very least (IMO) to allow non-casters to be able to make some decent stuff. I also think it would be better if it where minimally tied to PC adventuring class-levels, though. I tried to start a conversation about the crafting system once before and no one seemed interested, so I put that on the back burner. If I take it up again I'll look for a way for lower-level characters to combine their efforts and make something a higher-level character could benefit from.

Anyways, I see your point. Charisma is important and should be. Shame it's a dumpstat for most martial classes. Even pathfinder can't seem to have many non-magic classes that allow using mental ability scores to do much beyond resorting to 3rd party or specific archetypes.
    It's pretty much a dump stat for MANY classes, actually; I've seen Wizards and Rogues ignore it as well and rely on skill points or spells to make up the difference. That's why I was open to exploring different ways to calculate the leadership score. Depending on what other numbers go into it, the difference between and 8 and a 18 might be less noticeable than a +0 and +4.

If I have the time tomorrow I'll try to play around with some ideas and numbers and see what I can come up with.

I do like the idea of breaking away Leadership into distinct feats. There's different types of leadership and being a master at all of them is hard.

Say, perhaps instead of a single NPC, the feats bellow define a "Group", small but elite. You may only ever borrow the services of one member at a time, but atleast it means that if the guy dies it's less impactful.
    However you want to fluff it go right ahead. Allowing you to swap them out in the middle of a dungeon would probably be a bit much, but hiring them on per-adventure basis would probably be perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2015-01-13 at 10:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!