View Single Post

Thread: Leadership- when, where, and how?

1. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Leadership- when, where, and how?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    I really just go for the "magic IS technology" version of things and build a world so that with widely available low-level magic things approach a late-industrial-revolution quality of life anyway. It resolves so many of the bjorked-economy/stupid-WBL-table issues.
    No, no, I mean, tried to make a class that has a distinct subsystem from magic. I kinda failed, mostly because I made it well, too overly complicated, yet too overly focused. I mean, I wrote up like 20 different ways to flash forge grenades and guns of various sources....
    That stems from 2 problems. The first is that you need to expend adventurer/PC-level resources to learn to craft things, which takes away from your adventuring ability. And the second is why would you want to make the effort when you can just point to the DMG or SourcebookX and say "I want one of those"?

The first problem is resolved by (mostly) decoupling crafting from PC levels, but the second takes a bit more effort. I've always disliked the magic-mart style of item-distribution; I prefer that the DM either gives the players specific items as they need them (that can't easily be resold for their full value) or roleplaying out the players tracking down exactly what they need. In any game world I have influence over things you'd need from level 1-4 are fairly common, 5-9 are uncommon, 10+ rare, and 15+ unheard of. So at some point around level 8ish you either start spending a lot of time tracking down specific stuff or you spend a lot of time learning how to make it yourself.
    To be fair, I think this problem stems from the result of having to make items scale. Allowing PCs to buy items instead of RP everything is because most items, specifically, essential ones for the level, but easily obsoleted items.

"Realism" is always a tricky duck to deal with in games. Normally I try to use it for inspiration and not grossly violate common sense as we know it, but beyond that it's not really a priority.
    I do know from watching reading and watching videos on youtube that making a high-quality sword in real life, between the smelting, forging, sharpening, polishing, and final assembly can take a skilled craft and his apprentices several days.

As for the magic component there is no logical solution- the answer is basically "however fecking long or short you want"
    It depends on type of the item, sure. I know it at least takes a few hours for most things. But then again, multitasking allows smiths to produce multiple swords at the same time; D&D does not allow that.

It's still very disproportionate that the mundane crafting system is so cumbersome and requires multiple steps even for preexisting items even requiring multiple checks on occassion, while casters can just go look up an item and just have the crafting cost and requirements handed out to them as as single check.

Yeah, without trying to get to off-topic, that's basically what I envisioned for my crafting system. It doesn't work on a DC failure/success chance at all, which I know is a bit of a departure from the way a normal D20 system runs, but after a lot of theoretical number crunching it was honestly the best idea I could come up with. Every item has a "crafting value" (or, hell, call it labor-units if you want) and every day you rolled your crafting dice to determine how much progress you had made. More complicated items had higher values, higher level craftsmen had more dice. When you had rolled enough units to match the value, the item was done.

Something like a sword might have 100 units, something like a sailing ship could have 1,000,000. It might take one person a lifetime, but lots of people making little checks each day could get it done in a much shorter time.
    Maybe we should make leadership have this as an extention of this. I mean, sure, maybe nonmagical people can't individually craft a holy sword each, but what if they gathered all of their belief together to make a single one?

I like the idea of people contributing labor together to make something done much faster.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2015-01-13 at 11:59 PM.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature