View Single Post

Thread: Favorite Homebrew Items

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Favorite Homebrew Items

Anything from 3.5 or Pathfinder, or any other game system, is welcome here. I'm not looking for metagame/overpowered/campaign-ending items (looking at you, Wizard optimizers) but rather for items that were interesting, fun, or had a cool or unique set of powers. Bonus points if you have a reasonable idea of the in-game cost (such as GP or crafting time)

Personally one of the best items I ever made for a character was the Utility Wand for my fiance's ratfolk spellcaster. She made a point to collect wands, really for no reason at all, so I periodically threw new and interesting ones her way.
    The wand was actually a staff, but sized for a creature so small that it was the same size as a wand.

Utility Wand
    Aura moderate transmutation; CL 8th
    Slot none; Price unknown, probably around 13 or 14,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.
    Description
    This tiny staff is made of shiny metal, and capped with a glowing gem. When in use, the staff emits a high-pitched buzzing or humming sound. The staff allows use of the following spells:
    Arcane mark (1 charge)
    Detect magic (1 charge)
    Detect secret doors (2 charges)
    Jolt (2 charges)
    Mending (1 charge)
    Open/close (1 charge)
    Spark (1 charge)
    Construction Requirements
    Craft Staff, arcane mark, detect magic, detect secret doors, jolt, mending, open/close, spark; Cost unknown, roughly 6600 gp.
    Spoiler: cost/math guesstimations
    Show
    Spell levels are 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, and 0. Caster level is 8.
    Spell trigger item with 50 charges = SL x CL x 750, an item with 50 charges is half the unlimited use base price.
    Use a SL of 0.5 for cantrips. Per the multiple different abilities rule, the most expensive ability is at 100% cost, all additional abilities are at 150% cost.
    So for our 1st level spell (Detect Secret Doors) the base cost for unlimited use is SL (1) x CL (8) x 1500, or 12000 gp
    All the 0 level spells will have a base cost for unlimited use of SL (.5) x CL (8) x 1500 x 1.5, or 9000 gp
    With 6 of the 0 level spells and 1 first level spell, the total cost for unlimited casting is probably about 66000 gp.
    1 charge per day (though it can store up to 10 charges) means we divide the total by (5 divided by 1) or essentially divide by 5.
    1/5 of 66,000 gp is 13,200 gp
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2015-01-23 at 12:33 AM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist