1. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Unearthed Arcana - Eberron update released!

Yay for long replies!

Quote Originally Posted by AirApparent View Post
    My only issue with the dragonmarks as feats is that barring houserules you have to be human to have one at first level.
    Ah, a houserule! Here's mine, which I just now made up:
    If you with to take a dragonmark at level 1, you may do so without spending a feat. However, you only gain access to the cantrip, and you must spend your next available feat slot to get the dragon mark feat.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderJoe View Post
    But they need to stop with this type of stuff and start working on Magic of Incarnum already...
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    I would like it if they'd publish an article on Incarnum and maybe the classes from 3.5's Tome of Magic.
    I think this would be bad. It's better to wait until the edition is well established to bring in entirely new rulesets, especially ones that add so much complexity. If they do these now, they'll be half-baked subclasses that lose the majority of the subsystems' flavor. I want to see incarnum done justice.
    Oh, and a a low-quality instant-partial-homebrew binder:
    Spoiler: Warlock patron: Binder
    Show
    (notes: I do not have my books on hand (which is why there are no spells here). Also, this has only a very vague semblance of balance.)

Instead of choosing one patron to make a pact with, you have chosen them all.
    Binding: You may make temporary pacts with the other warlock patrons. As a 1-hour ritual (which may be part of a long rest), you may form a 1-day pact with one of the other warlock patrons. The powers granted by that patron lie silently within you until you choose to activate them, at which point you gain the full benefits of that patron for a number of hours equal to your charisma modifier. You must complete a short rest before you can use this ability again.

When you would get your next patron feature, you gain the ability to conduct a 1-hour ritual to change the pact that you benefit from. This effect is permanent. If you change pact then return to your previous pact, you keep the same version of the pact you previously possessed (for example, you may not change the spells in your book each time you choose the Pact of the Tome).

Alternate binding: At level 1, you get something. For the second patron feature, you gain the ability to choose one of the other patrons each day, and get the first ability they grant. As the third feature, you also gain the other patron's second feature, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Pretty much nailed the concept behind the races (Changeling and Warforged would be in, Shifter would have its own set of subraces), but I'm sorely disappointed about Artificer being a Wizard subclass.
    What about the Kalashtar?
    And yeah, it sucks that artificer had to be lost inside wizard, but it's not bad.

If there's a lot of sound behind it and perhaps a solid response in a survey, they might make an actual Eberron supplement; otherwise, at least they pay lip service.
    They'd better...
    And such a supplement might contain a better artificer!

Kinda surprised that they decided to go with Dragonmarks as feats, and make them auto-scale. It's the simplest way to handle it, but it kinda ruins the idea of having characters without more powerful Dragonmarks and it sorta begs the question of how they'll handle Siberys marks.
    1. If you don't want the bigger dragonmark, you could say you don't have it and never use the ability.
    2. That does not beg any question. It raises the question.

Surprised as well that they didn't dealt with Magic Items other than the Artificer providing a temporary boost to weapons and armor and creating temporary potions and scrolls. Not sure how many people will miss the Homunculus, though (then again, the Iron Defender might probably be a Familiar in this case, available only to Artificers?)
    Another houserule! Yay me!
    Homunculus: When you cast the spell find familiar, your familiar is of the construct type instead of its normal type, ignoring the types normally used by that spell.

Quote Originally Posted by calebrus View Post
    Basically, at our table, it would be like disguise self, but actually a physical change rather than magical.
    Yeah, that seems like a good idea. IIRC, that's exactly what I did in my homebrew changeling, but with a much longer and more complex wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Rfkannen View Post
    What are all the shifters supposed to be decendants of again?
    All the were-things!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    The racial write-ups look okay. Changeling and Shifter are solid. Warforged ... are okay, though I'm tempted to create a variant with innate body armor.
    What? +1 AC isn't innate body armor?
    Yeah, the Warforged here is a bit lackluster, but it has nice abilities. Personally, I'd give +2 Con (possibly replacing the strength bonus), and I'd make some sort of subraces for the different metals.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh! More homebrew!
    Spoiler: Warforged subraces
    Show
    Spoiler: Warforged as presented in the article
    Show
    Ability Score Increase. Your Strength and Constitution scores increase by 1.
    Size. Warforged are generally broader and heavier than humans. Your size is Medium.
    Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
    Composite Plating. Your construction incorporates wood and metal, granting you a +1 bonus to Armor Class.
    Living Construct. Even though you were constructed, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat or breathe, but you can ingest food and drink if you wish.
    Instead of sleeping, you enter an inactive state for 4 hours each day. You do not dream in this state; you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
    Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice.

Base (this is a variant of the normal warforged)
    Abilities. +1 Str, +2 Con.
    All others as presented in the article.

Adamantine
    Abilities. +2 Con. This replaces the normal racial ability score modifiers
    Composite Adamantine Plating. +2 AC. You have a maximum dexterity bonus to armor class of +2. This replaces the normal Composite Plating trait.
    Speed. 25 feet.
    (For additional balance, consider adding these: requires 6 hours pseudo-sleep instead of 4, only knows one language, speed down to 20 feet, and/or a max dex bonus of +3).

Mithral
    Abilities. +1 Dex, +1 Con. This replaces the normal racial ability score modifiers.
    Speed. 35 feet.
    (Alternative: +1 Str, +1 Dex)

Tl;dr:
    I made a bunch of quick home-brew!
    Level 1 dragon marks, binders as a partial warlock subclass, an artificer's homunculus, and warforged subraces!

UP WITH EBERRON! DOWN WITH THE FORGOTTEN REALMS!
    Last edited by Zweisteine; 2016-01-20 at 12:43 PM.
    Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!