View Single Post

Thread: 3.X Ancillary Contest Chat Thread

1. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3.X Ancillary Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I'm thinking of doing a bloodline. Are bloodlines okay?
    If there's not already a contest for it I'm liable to say yes; there might be changes/refinements later on, or possibly a branching of the contest but for now I want to just foster some friendly competition/creativity, and left things with few hard 'no's to let people expand and see what niches people thought needed filling. Later iterations might prove more restrictive, but only if the community seems to think they should be.

Bloodlines are one thing I personally didn't even consider, but are perfectly up this contests theme.

Things I have thought about:

Racial Substitution Levels: I'd give these a yes without hesitation.

Variant Base Class: I'd give this a no as too close to a base class.

Alternate Class Features: I'd give this a yes, and then note to myself that it's ultimately the same thing as the above since the variant classes usually don't have that many features changed. Well ok, ACFs are equivalent to a lot of the official variant classes, things like full class fixes and Sublime variant base classes go far and beyond most ACFs.

Magic Item(s): In a way this perfectly fits the theme of the contest (magic items are one of the small parts of your character that you customize and change in game), and in a way they don't at all (magic items aren't actually part of your character). That said I'd say yes, even if it made me

Race(s): These feel like they're on the same level as your class and like they shouldn't be in. The more I think about it rationally, though, the more I have to admit they fit (they don't have a contest of their own, they have nowhere near the impact as your class) but emotionally I dislike them. That said I'd allow them even if it makes me . Making me doesn't matter the most, since I won't be voting except in a tie, and after saying this would be trying to curb that emotional gut reaction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will also note that in my original (scrapped) conceptualization the contest was going to be specifically for non-SRD subsystems i.e. Invocations, Mysteries, Soulmelds, Vestiges, Maneuvers, etc. Before making the contest I made the decision to widen it because the other was too restrictive and discouraged creativity and also seemed mean to the non-subsystem using classes, and non-core spellcasters. So some things on my part are irrationally carried over from that.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2015-02-24 at 02:14 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)