Quote Originally Posted by Beta Centauri View Post
...Fandom is full of people who can't stand that their favorite villain was made to look so ridiculous they the wouldn't have (saved ammo, reserved some strength, triple-checked the proof, etc.) or that the only reason the hero survived was (once again) incredible luck.

...That's why the Evil Overlord Checklist exists.

Good luck in your vendetta. I'm no artist, but what I'm coming to understand about art is that realistic representation isn't necessarily better than a representation that leverages the audiences expectations, at least enough so that trying to achieve realism isn't worth it. It's like the Uncanny Valley: near perfection seems weird to us, but making it just slightly cartoony puts us at ease. Same with D&D: I bet most people wouldn't actually enjoy a hyper-real simulation as much as one that exaggerates some things and downplays others. People like their illusions.
That's the crux of the matter: making characters into people, with hopes, dreams, and weaknesses. Not just physical weaknesses or gaps in skills, but real people make mistakes, and so should characters, be they antagonists or protagonists or 2D background characters not worthy of being fleshed out.

I do love me some Evil Overlord checklist. As for my vendetta, we'll see how it goes.