1. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DM's campaign log- Wrath Of The Righteous (PF & spoliers!)

Hey folks! Sorry for the long delay. We had a session about a week and a half ago, but I got swamped by RL obligations, so I didn't have the time or the mood to write a log post. But now I do!

This session dealt mostly with sort of a mini dungeon that I've made, collecting some of the other "campaign traits" encounters over the wounded lands, and putting it all into one dungeon. The session featured mostly battles, but some sessions are like this. Still, a 9 hours session... I hope you enjoy!

Last thing- I ws a bit sick and not feeling all that well, so I may have missed keeping notes here and there. Also, this ffected the end of the session a bit, but we'll get to that... Oh- Only 1 part this time!

Session 17- The lost expedition.

Last we stopped, Andera was captued by an Imprisonment variation spell, and the rest of the party got transferred to the location of the Lost Expedition, which was in some sort of a soggy ground, an old Sarkori settlement. The party finished fighting off some vrocks, including a mythic vrock (Vorimeraak from the Molten Scar encounter) who fled to a big tree over some building a bit further away.

The party then debated what to do. They had the idea that Julian will use a charm monster spell to get a monster on their side, and use it to free Andera. Problem was- Julian had only 2 more mythic points left... They were quite sure the lost expedition held quite a serious battle.

Still, They can't keep Andera waiting, can they?

Battle of Winter Sun hall, and the corrupted thane tree

Noticing the soggy ground, Julian cast fly on herself, and Sen cast air walk. Mad dog still had a few minutes of fly left on him from the battle with the vrocks, so they all flew on. The soggy ground had no effect on them.

As they approached the building with the big tree, Sena remembered that this must be a Thane tree- trees used by the Sarkori to keep arcane casters locked and restrained. Although this tree looked fairly small, and wrong somehow... It grew out of the center of the stone building (The Wintersun Hall) They were easily noticed, and a battle took place.

Titan Dune by 2SfH
    (I used it before, but forgot to put a more specific theme here. Worked nicely though)

As soon as the battle started Vorimeraak started dance of ruin with 2 remaining vrocks up in the tree's branches. The party recognized it for what it was, and decided to try and keep out of the zone of effect.
    Out of the building rush 4 sort of fiendish/ demonic looking humanoids who look to be either of Sarkori descent, or from Mendevian descent? "Half demons!" Shouts Julian. 4 more wait on top of the building with bows. (These are "upgraded" Grunhuld barbarians- Half fiend barbarian 5) The party also notices someone near the door of the building, looking out...

Spoiler: Wintersun hall and corrupted Thane battle
    Show

Well, target rich environment just calls for a barbarian, so Mad dog rushed ahead! yet as he approached the party could feel some... effect trying to stop him, a deep slumber effect coming from... the tree? Sena noticed some of it's bark moving, and a sort of a whisper coming from it. Yet with a mythical surge Mad dog saved.

Sena himself was taken by surprise at a sudden angelic transformation! He grew wings, a halo, and was too stunned to react. (The player tries to create a build up towards the "Divine source" mythic ability he wishes to take in the next mythic tier) This had an unexpected effect, as the barbarian half demons hissed in fear "They send another to help the gurdian?" Which perplexed the party, but they put it aside.

But then Marhevok (The powerful barbarian in the Grunhuld Wintersun encounter... Upgraded stats and half demon barbarian 11) rushed out. "Angel! You come to join your brother?! Not if We can stop you!" He rushed towards Mad dog and hit him hard, like a hammer with his fist. The party noticed these barbarians, and especially Marhevok look A LOT like Mad dog looked when he transformed. Mad dog gritted through the pain. "This is the source!"

As the vrocks continue to dance, Mad dog gives Marhevok his own "Mad dog treatment", nearly killing the barbarin in 1 round. The tree seems to party heal it with a sort of necrotic energy, as Marhevok gets scarred dead flesh. Sena flies in and blasts the half demons twice with his channel energy ability (Works against demons as well) Seriously damaging most. Julian sens her flying scorpion familiar to touch Mad dog and give him 6 mirror images. (That spell is probably the most used defensive spell in the party, and to the best effect)

The frost drake comes as well, spits a ball of ice and creates and ice sheet but... both Sena and Mad dog flies. Marhevok uses Blasphemy, but both save as well. They both then retreat just before the dance of ruin has it's effect (I forgot the mythic Vrock's ability to cause it early), and Julian tries to charm Mrhevok but... fails... 1 more mythic point? "Shall we teleport, or try to capture another?". Mad dog is furious. "We END this! Nor running away!"

The party all flies, the arrows of the roof barbarians barely hit, and the ground barbarians are either dead or wounded. Instead of starting another dance of ruin, the 3 vrocks join the fight. Sena and Julian damage them nicely with spells, while Md dog goes down and kills both Marhevok and the frost drake with the help of a crit! Only to have Marhevok rise as a sort of half plant zombie! Julian curses "This is strange- the tree uses some combination of druidic and necromatic spells, but how can it be?" Sena who is close enough sees a figure moving in the bark of the tree, sort of a woman, trying to peer at them, observe them, especially the angelic looking Sena.

Sena crushes Zombie Marhevok with bone shatter spell. as the three vrocks come to him and Mad dog, and releease spores which entangle and deafen Mad dog (The Mythic Vrock's mythic spores). Julian flies deals with the last of the barbarians with a diamond spray, and then flies closer. (The rood barbarians just run away)

The battle remains between Sena and mad dog against the Vrocks. Some stunning screeches, more channel energy and hits, and more mirror images down, it comes down to Julian using baleful polymorph to turn Vorimeraak into a little water salamander! The vrocks seek to escape, Mad dog grasps one, Sena casts on it touch of idiocy, and Julian charms it!

One vrock charming

The charmed Vrock looks at her puzzingly "Help me!" She calls to him, using her best understanding of the succubus mind that infected her "I am the same as you! We were sent here to test the defenses, and seek out the one truly powerful demon for a great task at hand!" The vrocks fights against Mad dog and Sena "And what of these mortals?" Julian calls them off "They re but underlings, they have a purpose, as do we all!"

The Vrocks is still a bit suspicious, but Julian keeps pressing "We have a very important mission from Jerribeth herself!" THis alerts the vrock. "The mistress? But we were put here s her guard! Why you attack us?" Julian keeps on the show nicely "Guard? You call this a guard? We tested you, nd most failed... All failed, except for you...". The vrock added "Chuga." Julain nodded "except for you, mighty Chuga, mightiest of all vrocks, who will be rewarded nicely!" (I suck t coming up with names on the spot )

"Let us go Chuga... we need to rest, but then we will go to your reward!" All the while Sena tried to look t the figure in the tree, which looked like a sort of a sickly woman, made out of bark, looking back them, but currently not attacking them... The party moved back towards the settlement, to sleep and return to Andera tomorrow.

DM design- Battle of the Wintersun hall and the corrupted Thane
    Spoiler
    Show
    This battle held 3 elements- the flock of Vrocks (4 vrocks+ Vorimeraak), the Grunhuld barbrians (8 half fiend barbatin 5+ Marhevok- half fiend barbarian 11 and his frost drake) and lastly- the Thane tree. The tree acted as a sort of an intelligent spell slinging trap. (It's a corrupted Hamdryad, with the spells altered slightly for necromatic effects)

I must say that the battle proved A LOT easier than expected, despite pulling the encounters together, using upgraded stats, and the tree, and having only 3 party members, 2 of which with severely depleted mythic points. Which just goes to show that the modules' encounters are absolutely not challenging and crappy. Sorry.

Encounter stat blocks
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: barbrians and Marhevok
    Show
    GRUNHULD-WINTERSUN BARBARIANS
    Human barbarian 5, Half demon
    CN outside native
    Init +6; Senses Perception +8
    DEFENSE
    AC 21, touch 142, flat-footed 17 (+6 Breast plate, +4 Dex, –2 rage, NA +3)
    hp 61 each (5d12+25)
    Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +5; +1 vs. traps
    Defensive Abilities uncanny dodge immunity to poison; acid, cold, electricity, and fire resistance 10
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee mwk battleaxe +14, (1d12+12/×3) PA -2+6
    Ranged mwk composite longbow +10 (1d8+8/×3)
    Special Attacks rage (11 rounds/day), rage powers (no escape, scent) Smite good (+2 attack, deflect, +5 damage)
    STATISTICS
    Str 26, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Base Atk +5; CMB +10; CMD 20
    Feats Cleave, Improved Initiative, Power Attack (-2+6)
    Skills Intimidate +6, Perception +8, Sense Motive +5, Stealth +5, Survival +8
    Gear BP, heavy wooden, mwk battleaxe, mwk composite longbow (+4 Str) with 20 arrows

MARHEVOK GRUNHULD-WINTERSUN CR 10
    Male human barbarian (savage barbarian) 11 Half demon
    CE Medium humanoid (human)
    Init +4; Senses Perception +13
    DEFENSE
    AC 22/ 28, touch 14, flat-footed 15, (+6 Breast plate +2 Dex, +3 dodge, +3 natural, –2 rage+ 4 Bark)
    hp 180 (12d12+99)
    Fort +12, Ref +7 (+3 vs. traps), Will +8; +2 vs. fear, +3 vs. traps
    Defensive Abilities improved uncanny dodge DR 10/ magic, resist fire, acid, lightning
    OFFENSE
    Speed 40 ft.
    Melee unarmed strike +21/+16/+11 (1d10+10/19–20), gore +16 (1d8+5) PW (-3/ +6) Vital strike x2!
    Smite good (+3/ +11)
    Blasphemy
    Unholy blight 5d8 DC 17

Special Attacks greater rage (26 rounds/day), rage powers (lesser fiend totem, renewed vigor [2d8+8 hp], strength surge +11)
    STATISTICS
    Str 30, Dex 18, Con 24, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Base Atk +11; CMB +18; CMD 32
    Feats Dodge, Improved Critical (unarmed strike), Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Vital Strike, Power Attack (-3/ +6), Toughness, Vital Strike
    Skills Acrobatics +16, Bluff +12, Intimidate +15, Perception +13, Survival +13
    Gear Breastplate unholy symbol of Baphomet with an inscription in Abyssal that reads “Jerribeth”

Spoiler: Vorimeraak- Scorpion's stats
    Show

VORIMERAAK CR 13/MR 5
    XP 25,600
    Female advanced mythic vrock (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 69, 294; Pathfinder RPG Mythic Adventures 184)
    CE Large outsider (chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar, mythic)
    Init +14M; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +27
    DEFENSE
    AC 32, touch 14, flat-footed 27 (+5 Dex, +18 natural, –1 size)
    hp 209 (11d10+149)
    Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +10
    Defensive Abilities block attacks; DR 10/epic and good; Immune electricity, poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10, fire 10; SR 24
    OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft., fly 50 ft. (average)
    Melee bite +18 (1d8+8/18-20), 2 claws +18 (2d6+8/18-20), 2 talons +18 (1d6+8/18-20)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks entrapping vine(1/3 rnds, 2d8 all around, fort 24 or entrap, deaf/ blind/ speak, 10 rounds cause 1d5 each round. Bless/ holy water stop), fleet warrior, greater stunning screech (Fort 24, or stun 1 round, stagger 1d4. Mythic- swift), manic dance of ruin, mythic power (5/day, surge +1d8)
    Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15th; concentration +20)
    At will—greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), telekinesis (DC 20)
    1/day—heroismM, mirror imageM, summon (level 3, 1 vrock 75%)
    STATISTICS
    Str 27, Dex 21, Con 29, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 20
    Base Atk +11; CMB +20; CMD 35
    Feats Blind-FightM, Combat Reflexes, Improved InitiativeM, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack (-3/+9)M
    Skills Acrobatics +19, Fly +17, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (arcana) +18, Knowledge (planes) +18, Perception +27, Sense Motive +19, Spellcraft +18, Stealth +15, Survival +19; Racial Modifiers +8 Perception
    Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common; telepathy 100 ft.
    SQ augmented critical (natural weapons)
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Entrapping Vines (Ex)
    Vorimeraak can release a cloud of spores from her body once every 3 rounds as a free action, affecting all adjacent non-demons. If she expends one use of mythic power as a swift action, this attack can be used before the 3 rounds have passed. The spores deal 2d8 points of damage on the first round as they grow into ugly vines; for the next 10 rounds, they deal 1d6 points of damage, entrap the affected creatures (10 rounds, hardness 5, hp 10), and make them go blind, lose the ability to speak, or go deaf (determine randomly). A Fortitude save DC 24 negates the entrap effect and the condition. The vines can be destroyed by casting bless on the creatures or by sprinkling them with holy water. This is a disease effect. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Greater Stunning Screech (Su)
    Once per hour, Vorimeraak can emit a shrill screech. All non-demons within a 30-foot radius spread must succeed at a DC 24 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round and staggered for 1d4 rounds after the sun ends. If Vorimeraak expends one use of mythic power, this power can be used as a swift action. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Manic Dance of Ruin (Su)
    Vorimeraak can expend one use of mythic power to dance and chant as a full-round action, after which she releases a crackling wave of energy, dealing 5d6 points of electricity damage to all creatures within 100 feet (Reflex DC 20 for half). Each additional vrock that joins in the dance adds 1 to the DC and an additional 5d6 points of damage, up to a maximum of 20d6. The dance immediately ends and must be started anew if any of the participating vrocks is slain, stunned, or otherwise prevented from dancing. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Spoiler: Currupted Thane tree
    Show
    Twisted Hamdryd
    AC 30, Resist acid, cold electricity 30 hp 190. SR 27 (Extends to vrocks in tree), Wis 18,
    Persuade: DC 34, Wis 18, Sense motive +20. May pause at any sign of "good beliefs", attack with vigor if Arulashee is present.
    The Hamadryad can cast the following:
    • CL 12:
    - Deathly sleep: Deep slumber, DC20 will, If asleep any round DC 20 fort or gain 1 negative level.
    - Blood tangles: Entangle. DC18, If entangled also bleed 4 per round)
    - Death chills: Up to 80 ft from the Dryad, 20 ft radius, Reflex 21 or 10d8 half cold, half necro, If fail also grasped in ice (Escape DC 22, Break 20).
    - Murder: Confusion (DC21) With only kill nearest!
    - Poison: Attack + 16 for DC 21 poison (6 rounds, each round 1d4 con)
    - Dread plnt warrior: (On allies up to 8 in 20 ft spread) Bark skin (+3), Natural weapons, Mass cure moderate only as necrotic energy- temporary hit points.
    - Animate dead as ppore corpses ( One action, +4 strength, +3 armor, 30 hit points. Channel causes only half damage.

Meanwhile, back at Andera's prison.

As the party was doing battle, who jumped in to see Andera if not... Jerribeth! She was surprised to see him there, but smiled at him. "Well well, of all the people that could have freed that wretched Mohagrek, it comes to you?"

Andera, feeling so far secure with the prison's protection, spat at her. "So you captured him? What do you want now?" She was bemused by him, and sat on nearby rock. "Oh, he proved to be an impetuous and disrespectful competition. I got a gift from Baphomet, and thought to show him my... displeasure. But this? I didn't arrange this, but it does put us in a... peculiar opportunity. Where are your rag tag team of friends by the way?"

Andera kept silent, but Jerribeth interpreted it wrongly. "Oh, they left you here? You will stay here for a long... long time, you must know that? But I... I hold the key to this prison, and I can free you, if we come to an... agreement?"

Andera laughed bitterly "Dealing with demons is what got me into this mess, forgive me if I don't exactly rush to hear your trickery."

Jerribeth looked at him sternly. "Look, I understand you mistrust me, but where Mohagrek had only trickery to use, I offer a straight up reward, and a joint purpose- you wish to harm the Deskari forces? Strike a blow against Areelu Vorlesh? I can help you there! Your little party is looking for an item... a book... which the witch have lost, and would like to have, but if I get it, it will raise my status, and will harm hers, and I could drive their forces away. I can help you find the book, and bypass it's guardians, and all you need to do is deliver it to me once you pass it's last guardian... Hell, I'll even tell you where the Ivory Sanctum is, so you can come and kill Xanthir Vang, which will please me greatly... What do you say?"

Andera was not so easily persuaded though "There is a trick, there is always a trick! If you are so strong, how come you haven't passed this guardian?" Jerribeth looked annoyed "It proves especially efficient against my kind... I assume your people will find it easier to bypass". Andera thought "No way. I don't know what this book is, but if you want it, then I sure ain't going to give it to you!"

Jerribeth grew a bit angry "So you'll rot here for ever? With your friends gone, in the middle of the wasteland?" She then seemed to think. "Very well, if no the book, then my sister... a succubus who has erred of her ways. I believe she may seek you. Find her, and alert me, and I will come to del with her personally. She is "a wretched demon" as you say, surely life of a lowly demon is worth your freedom?"

Andera was skeptic "How will you even know?" Jerribeth pulled out a couple of scrolls "I will enchant you with quest spell, to ensure your cooperation, and a small item you could break to alert me and allow me to scan your location better. That is all I require."

Andera thought a bit more. "Sorry, but no deal." Jerribeth grew more tense "What is it you want Andera? I can offer you a wish. Free of charge, no complications, no trickery, no strings. As long as it doesn't hurt me... You want power? Money? You want... Julian? She is comely and beautiful, isn't she? I can have her want you, desire you, love you. (Her player goes "Hey!" than thinking about it "Might be interesting")

Andera laughed "Thanks, but no thanks. I swore- no more demon dealings! I will only regret it later." Jerribeth' jade eyes narrowed. "Very well, stay here and rot for a few days more and than we'll see!" And with that, she teleported away.

DM design- The Jerribeth encounter
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wnted to give Andera's player a bit of play time, since he was out in the fight with the corrupted tree. It also served to showcase Jerribeth bit more, and the friction between Baphomet nd Deskari.

3rd dream of Arulashee

A bit later, Andera dreamed of the succubi Arulashee again. This time the scene altered between the prayer room in the temple of welcome night, and the holding cell in Drezen, with the prayers written on those walls glowing in silver. "Words have power. They can either set you free, or point you in the right direction at least" said Arulashee as her hand trailed over the words.

She looked at Andera with her red eyes. "In my prayers I have heard you spoke words as well, shown others freedom as well, others thought to be beyond hope, beyond redemption. What have you seen in them?"

Andera thought. "Their evil is not core corrupted evil. It is a sort of naivete, something they were taught, but which they didn't learn anything else. A bit like kids really. It is hard for them to unlearn their old ways, and learn new ones."

Arulashee looked t him intently "At what would you see in me?" Andera responded "You too have made change." Arulshee turned from him "Have I? I tried to do good, but does it justify the horrors I have done before? I m not like those... children... I have chosen evil, and am solely responsible for the corruption or death of hundreds, if not more people and souls... It is... so hard..."

Andera responded "Every battle is it's own battle, every choice stands on it's own. If you do good, that in itself will change the future." She looked at him quizzingly "You have faith in me?" He responded quickly "I do. If for the sole reason that your sister wants you dead, you must be a great force for good." She looked t him oddly "What strange... recommendation. But, I have been tempted so many times, have gone back on some times as well" Andera tried to comfort her "You have gone so well..." But she interrupted him, frustrated, angry "Done well? I've been fighting this for two decades? This doesn't seem to end! For how long?!" Andera responded with his hand on her shoulder "I have seen a paladin turn his ways to the utmost of evil. If this can be done one way, then it can be done in the other as well"

She seemed gratified by this, looking at him. They were again in her tower, with the silvery bell above, who struck again, and the words of protection on the walls shimmered and faded. "She is coming close to succeeding, she is..." But the dream broke.

Day 36- Into the site of the Lost Expedition

"Today Chooga is goign to be great?"
    "Great and powerful Chooga will be!"
    Teleport.
    "Now Chooga, touch the chains, and change places with this mortal, whom Jerribeth favors, and you will live forever!"
    "I'm a demon, I allready leave forever?"
    "Power! Great power! Don't you trust me?"
    Good enough bluff roll
    "Um, you come back and free Chooga?"
    "Real quick, reaaaalll quick!"
    And so Andera gained his freedom! "Hey, guess who gave me a visit?"
    Sena went to the vrock. "You are SUCH an idiot!" and turned away.
    Teleport back to the site of the lost expedition.
    "Um, so Chooga wait here for you to come back? Hello?"

DM design- releasing Andera
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought the party went through enough trouble and it made sense enough to work. I might have played it less... silly with Chooga... but the experience have exhausted itself, and Julian had quite fun with it. I always envisioned the vrocks as high end dumb brutes of demon kind, so it kind of fitted.
    Plus, Julian has very high social skills, as will become apparent near the end of the session. All in all, quite good fun.

Back at the site of the expedition, the party exchanges experiences. They wish to explore the relation between Jerribeth and Arulashee more, but first this place. With the half demons they fought, the party think there might be a key to Mad dog and Julain's situation deep inside.

J: "So what do we do about the tree?"
    MD: "We crush tree!"
    S: "Maybe we should try talking to it before? It didn't seem hostile at the end, mybe we cn learn of this guardian they mentioned?"

So the party goes to the tree (They smash a few more plant- zombies on the way), and meet wit hthe corrupted Hamadryad in the tree.
    HD: "Who are you? What do you seek here?"
    J: "We... came to put right what was wrong."
    HD: "First were the druids, then came Opon, (There was a slight twinge of pain here) making us guard it, then the crusaders, also wishing to make things right... and last the demoness, with her minions and powers, all unsuccessful. But it changes all, twists all. Why would you be any different?"
    J: "We are not like the others, we have more power, more ability to do what must be done. What is guarded inside?"
    HD: "You come and do not know? It is the key, the change, the impossible, the Paradox." (The party was confused at this, which was sort of the point)
    J: "They all seek it, but it changes them, we can handle it. Please lt us through.
    HD: "No! I gave my word, a promise! Opon, Opon my love. Only to those who are worthy. This place hides it from the witch. If she sees it- the world would end!"
    J: "We are also enemies of the witch, and seek to oppose her, to undo what she has done here, restore you, restore Sarkori. Let us gain what we need to change it back!" (The player was guessing quite nicely through all of this)
    HD: "No! The witch is strong, is powerful! Many before you came, l succumbed, succumbed, it my not be revealed, not yet, not yet..."
    J: "We are no mere mortals, and we have defeated the witch and her minions many times. We are no mere mortals, bestowed with the power of the gods, we re the only hope!"
    The Hamadryad hesitated "My love, Opon, I made you a promise..."
    J: "Think, what would Opon do if he saw all of this? If a chance to turn it back, to defeat Vorlesh was given? We re that chance!"

And the Hamadryad relented, and some of it's branches and bark moved side to reveal a stairway of natural steps going down below. "The waters will not stop you... Beware of the demoness' minions, they have gotten far inside, and re trying to undo the guardian."
    Andera rose: "What IS the guardian?"
    HD: "Something they tried to bring to gain access, which was not as they expected...

First halls and three broken seals

The steps go down bout 100 feet. They don't keep quiet, and the two sentry templars of Baphomet sound a horn. The battle is laughably short and ridiculous, with only Md dog hit bit by a glaive. (He needs to get his AC up).

They find themselves in what appeared to be lodgings of the pst inhabitants of the place. They find markings of the Sarkori, of Iomedae's templars, and recently of demonic inhabitants. They decide not to explore the lodgings, as that will tke time, but to move on. But before that Sena raises John's spirit (I allow this with the use of "Speak with the dead")
    S: "John, I think we have found were you were, is this the place?"
    J: "Yes, yes it is. Were McCaine sought something down below, along with the mage Xan."
    S: "What happened here?"
    J: "They weren't able to get to... whatever it was. pardon me, but I was a mere soldier then. We resorted to summoning a celestial, Lady McCaine performed the ceremony, yet it did not go as planned. Soon after, well, you saw- madness, demonic possessions, the entire expedition went up in flame. Sorry, I can help you no more..."
    S: "Thank you John. Are your restful in the afterlife?"
    J: "That I am my child, that I am..."

the party fidn a sort of a door/ seal, but broken off. They notice tracks that heavy things were carried and dragged on the floor through here. Andera finds some metal scraps "Brass? Why?" but they don't know.

As they descend they come to three rooms, one after the other. The first has big stone pillars and crevices, with water flooding the floor but not spilling into the gaps, due to some druidic runes. The party is cautious, but traverses this place with no problem. Next they reach a long twisting tunnels with runes of air and fire, and again they manage to go through unharmed, the runes disabled or broken. Last there is a room with a lot of fungi and animal skeletons, but all at rest. The party realizes these are past defenses that have been broken.

Room of horror

Deep below, as they follow the signs of dragged materials, the party come to a large room, with a summoning circle near it's end. They recognize it from John's visions. As Sena and Mad dog approach to explore, something twists inside the room and monstrosities appear!

Power of darkness
    (Again, a general battle music, haven't got time to prepare something more specific)

In front of them appeared a mass of teeth, eyes nd flesh- a lesser gibbering orb! To their sides appeared two writhing changing floating masses sprouting teeth and tentacles (Chaos beasts) battle was joined!

The party sves vs. the gibbering, but Sena and Md dog each get hit by 3 rays. Mad dog is wounded, and Sena's Ariwalk is dispelled. Julian advances with mirror images, and Andera hears something from behind, and sees a bodak emerging from the shadows, and flees from it inside. "We got some kind of death gaze undead behind!"

Sena and Mad dog face the chaos bests (Though they do not know what they are yet). A power Sen got from the trickery domain enables him to teleport a short distance when they miss him, so he evades most attacks. Mad dog crits... only to find that they re immune to crits...

The party is surrounded. Julian quickly casts a wall of ice where the bodak came from, effectively neutralizing it from the fight. The gibbering orb keeps shooting rays and affecting the party, but they get much more alarmed by the chos beasts when one hits Mad dog and he melts into blob of Jelly, all of his equipment falling down. (Party goes: "WTF?") Andera keeps along a solid hitting for low damage and being invisible. His steady attacks keep on puling up, but slowly.

Julian and Sena re the two remaining targets. Julian tries to keep the Gibbering orb neutralized as well with walls of ice, and hold monster spells, while Sena tries desperately to reverse Mad dog condition. He succeeds once, twice, but each time the barbarian get hit gain by the chaos beasts and reverts to Jelly. He loses more and more wisdom...

The party starts to worry of a TPK. They her sort of distant echo- "The improbable, the impossible, made real..."

Mad dog asserts control over his form, (naked and... um... dangling) and rushes to grab his sword, standing near the gibbering orb. Meanwhile Andera kills a beasts that has taken out Julian's last remaining image, and she returns control of his form to Mad dog. Sena battles the other one.

The Gibbering orb grabs at Mad dog, but the barbarian shakes it off and starts cutting big swaths of meat, splattering eyes and teeth all across the room. Sen uses flame strikes, and Julian as well doesn't skimp on spells, till at the end they get the weird things dead and gone. (With the Bodak still hammering at the back). The room reverts back to how it was. Mad dog is furious, but the rest just tell him to hurry and get dressed, and to continue. They DID NOT like this surprise.

Spoiler: Room of horrors
    Show
    I wanted to have the party face something they re not ideally suited for, and which can be quite terrifying, which has worked quite nicely! It did feel like a terror experience for them, mostly due to not knowing the monsters (No appropriate knowledge skills), them being immune to crits and sneak attack, and the chaos beasts frightening power. They are used to rely on Mad dog.

I used the XP from the lost expedition site in the module, along with a bit more I added myself.

The fallen fane- Who's your golem?

The party reached big cave. There was a big gap in the middle, with three stone arches (With debris) crossing it. On the other side were 6 templars of Baphomet, along with the eidolon of Zandera- a twisted beast of 8 legs, wings, bite and claws (I'll call it Sven), and a big brass golem in the shape of Baphomet. The party rightly assumed that this was a golem! Zandera herself ws invisible, upon hearing the party coming close. Battle was joined!

I was using the stats given in the file by Scorpion, which added the golem as the main antagonist here, and it sure proved to be!

Spoiler: Fallen fane battle
    Show

Julian starts with communal stone skin (She uses blood money for this. The player has been witing for this since character creation! ) And Sena opened with confusion (Through trickery) that affected Sven and 3 templars, basically taking them out of the fight, or having them hitting each other.

Andera moves unseen towards the other platform, while Zandera treis to dispel Sen'a confusion and fails. It is then the Golem's turn, as it "air walk" charges at Julian from across the room, in immense speed! He hits her hard, and the wound seems to fester (Cursed wound) The party is... worried.

Mad dog attacks the golem, and damages it, only to see it fixing itself, and having a second turn! It attacks 4 times, Julian and Mad dog, wounding both greatly, nearly dropping Julian. They shift their attention completely to it now!

"Who's next?"
    "Um, Andrew?"

But Julian's player is smart one, and he finds a spell called Apparent Master, and takes control of the golem! I debate shortly of whether the golem is supposed to be immune to that spell (With it being immune to all spells with SR), but the spell seems so specific to take control of golems, that I allow it.

Julian takes control of the golem! Sena tries to heal, and finds out the affects of the cursed wound on BOTH Mad dog and Julian, only some of the healing passes. "We need to get rid of it's real master and quick!" Shouts Julian. Andera, on the other side of the chasm, tries to find Zandera amongst the confused templars and Sven.

Zandera shouts and tries to control the golem, but Julian barely manages to control it, and shouts "Kill your former master!" It comes ot her nd hits her nicely!. Md dog stays to guard Julian and Sen, and in the meantime kills the templrs that came close enough, Andera comes close to Zandera, and finds her on the next round, when she... gains control of the golem. Back it flies to the party.. and this time it focuses all attacks on Julian, taking down her images, and hitting her again (She was healed by Sena in the meantime, who curses again at the cursed wound he just healed).

Julian gains control of it again! But this was her last mythic point... Sena casts silence on zandera location, but she moves outside of the are and gain regain control of the golem. (mad dog's player was rolling for her. The rest of the party goes "You really want to kill us all, don't you?") The golem comes between Sen and Julian on one side, and Mad dog on the other. Too bad, since Mad dog has wardstone fragment, but he misses throwing it to her (rolls a 1) and it falls on his side. This time when the golem hits Julian, it drops her to negatives, and hits mad dog severely as well.

"Ohhhhhh craaaaaappp!"

But Sen thinks quickly, and uses it's Master's Illusion power to cast a veil on themselves, making Julian appear ded, and them both as templars! I check under the constructs' entry, and they re affected by glammers! The golem think it's job is done, and he flies back towards the start point...
    Zandera is trying to battle Andera (Both have improved invisibility), and deal with the strange golem, plus the confused templars and Sven. It buys the party enough time to heal, and get the wardstone fragment. Julian uses it, and comes back to with 2 mythic power.

She then takes control of the golem, just as Andera manages to kill Zandera! The battle is then mopped up quickly, but with one big question hanging- what to do with the baphomet golem?

DM design- the fallen fane
    Spoiler
    Show
    This takes directly from the encounter by the same name. I used Scorpion's stats here. The golem my have been bit... too much, though I still think Mad dog could have hit him nicely had he even tried... but the battle proved more amusing as it is. The golem was used to try and corrupt the guardian next on, with powerful unhallow effect tied to it.

STATUE OF BAPHOMET CR 12/MR 1
    XP 19,200
    Unique clay golem (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary; Pathfinder RPG Mythic Adventures 224)
    N Large construct
    Init +20/+0, dual initiative; Senses darkvision 60 ft., see invisibility, low-light vision; Perception +0
    DEFENSE
    AC 32, touch 16, flat-footed 24 (+7 dodge, +16 natural, –1 size)
    hp 170 (13d10+40); fast healing 20
    Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +4; evasion
    DR 10/adamantine, epic and bludgeoning; Immune construct traits, magic
    OFFENSE
    Speed 90 ft., air walk
    Melee glaive +26/+26/+21/+16 (2d10+12/x3 plus cursed wound)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks glaive, mythic haste
    STATISTICS
    Str 24, Dex 10, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Base Atk +13; CMB +21; CMD 31
    Feats Power Attack (-4/+12)B
    SQ magic enhancement
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Cursed Wound (Ex)
    The damage a clay golem deals doesn't heal naturally and resists magical healing. A character attempting to use magical healing on a creature damaged by a clay golem must succeed on a DC 26 caster level check, or the healing has no effect on the injured creature.
    Glaive (Su)
    The statue of Baphomet is sculpted wielding a glaive made of clay, resembling Aizerghaul. It has a +2 enhancement bonus and counts as epic and evil for the purpose of applying damage reduction.
    Mythic Haste (Su)
    The statue of Baphomet is supernaturally fast, and is always considered to be under the effects of a mythic haste spell, but instead of the usual bonuses, it gets a +5 bonus to its attack rolls, and a +5 dodge bonus to its AC and Reflex saves.
    Immunity to Magic (Ex)
    A clay golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.
    • A mythic move earth spell drives the golem back 120 feet and deals 3d12 points of damage to it (no save).
    • A mythic disintegrate spell slows the golem (as the slow spell) for 1d6 rounds and deals 1d12 points of damage (no save).
    • A mythic earthquake spell cast directly at a clay golem stops it from moving on its next turn and deals 5d10 points of damage (no save).
    • Any magical attack against a clay golem that deals acid damage heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage it would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. A clay golem gets no saving throw against magical attacks that deal acid damage.
    Magic Enhancement (Su)
    The statue of Baphomet is under the effect of air walk and see invisibility. These effects cannot be dispelled.

Aftermath and leveling up!
    In the battle, in his attempts to battle Zandera, Andera went after her a bit to the room beyond, and felt it is strange, impossible, bizarre. The party was weary of continuing on, but they well understood that Jerribeth sent these cultists, and if they delay too long, she might arrive. As to the golem:
    A: "Maybe we should control it? It can sure help us a lot?"
    S: "You really like doing deals with demons don't you? What if it changes side or goes berserk in the middle?"
    J: "It was made by Baphomet cultists, for Baphomet. I say we try and deactivate it. Besides, we allready got a mindless golem who goes all crazy on us."
    Mad dog nodded affirmatively.
    And with a series of a few on-the-spot-skills they indeed deactivate it, while Sena rested for n hour and regained his powers.

The party also leveled to level 11. This caught some by surprise, we rarely ply t such levels, and it's a it weird for us ll, especially ll of the new spells. The party hadn't fully planned on what to take in this level, so that will be in the next session. (Will be in the next post)

With that partly settled, they decided to head on, to the last room, to Paradox.

Guardian of Paradox

The next room was a small one, and held but one creature, and one item. The item was a strange looking book at the far wall, made out of papers, papyrus, bark, lead sheets, leves and stones, a jumbled up collection of papers, as to the creature:

The beautiful strange creature seemed angelic, but as the party grew close, they also felt, more than saw, that it was also demonic, and devilish, and... none of the above... Julian spoke "Paradox". The being opened it's eyes. "I am it's guardian, of what is improbable, impossible, made real... nd who re you, to seek Paradox?"
    J: "We are the heroes who seek to close the worldwound, reclaim the land that was!"
    This seemed the wrong answer "I was used to open the worldwound, half way. The witch Areelu Vorlesh used us to join the worlds, partly. This is Paradox, why would I wish to undo it? Why would I care for heroes?"
    A: "Tell us of the witch"
    P: "She sought to end the world, to bring the two worlds together, and she almost succeeded, were it not for the one who stole me, hid me, so I will not be used again. Yet so many seek to use me, and none understand. Why are you worthy of Paradox?"
    J: "We are heroes of exceptional power, we have the power of the gods in us!"
    P: "And so have so many others. This is not pradox, this is ordinary. We are a compilation to the works of countless mages and arcansits, seeking to make be what cannot be, join realities, join worlds. What does it matter to me, your desire to save the world?"
    Andera was still suspicious: "You sid she opened it half way. What happens if we try to close it?"
    The being looked at him, with eyes of depths unimaginable "You could either close the rift, or if you fail- open it entirely. All end outcomes are made... possible from the impossible."
    Julain tried a different knack "Look in us. We have been affected by your power, me and the one beside me, we are part demons"
    It looked inside. "Yes, the demoness and her limited understanding of joining. You are children of paradox indeed, but are you progenitors of it s well, servants? You both re a consequence, not a cause."

The party was a bit t a loss here They prepared for a fight, but thinking that the golem and the rest and Jerribeth herself weren't able to get by it, this did not look promising...
    Sen became frustrated: "Why do you stop us? We will do what needs to be done! We shall pay the price! We will see this thing to this end!"
    The being looked calmly at him: "And why should it matter to me?"
    Julain got mad, and tried to move forward "We shall just take it!" But quick as an arrow, a sword rose, very sharp, at her chest. "Julian Bearstorm, you have not yet give me a reason to entrust myself to you."
    "I seek revenge!" She seethed.
    "And why should I care?" replied the angel/ demon/ devil.
    "I feel... attuned to this book. I feel I can understand so much by it..."
    "You seek understanding?" Asked the being.
    Suddenly something dawned in Julian. "Yes, I seek understanding of Paradox. Of the gods' power. I seek to make the impossible... possible. look into my mind and you shall see."
    "You seek to hold paradox?"
    "I seek to BECOME paradox!"
    (The party was slightly confused at this. Julian seeks to gain divine status, but not be connected to any god. We understood she aims to use the book to do just that!)

After a very good diplomacy roll (rolled a 20!) and a very good deal (forwarding the goals of Paradox) Julain succeeded! The being let her pass. "Just know, that when you take me out of here, there is no turning back. For whatever the outcoem will be, it will come to some sort of and end. One you might like, or not..."

Julian went and took the Lexicon of Paradox. The party achieved a mythic trial, and gained a mythic tier!

I was very tired nd unfocused by this time, and messed a bit the end of this encounter (Rewards and the like) so we decided to reply these 5 minutes again on the next session.

DM design- guardian of paradox and the lost expedition
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lets face it- ll of the small encounter locations (Barring perhaps Scorsizor) are quite laughable and don't pose even a minimal challenge. So I decided to group some of them into something that will close up most of the characters campaign trait stories (More on that in the next session), and will pose a more interesting challenge, while also providing some more info of the general story, and tying a few loose ends up. I think that all in all this went well, though if I hd the time to sit down and plan it more, perhaps it would have been better.

As to the Guardian of Paradox encounter- it will close a few more loose ends (next session), but it is not a "specific answer" puzzle. It was meant to be entirely open ended, and otherworldly (The music hit GREAT here!" I think that was achieved. It is the intelligence of the book, which wanted to do wht it's purpose is- make the impossible possible. I was willing to let the party suggest different things and go with whatever seemed plausible. Julian surprised me here, I thought this might come later, but it ws a good arguing point- her wanting to wrest divine power from the gods, so we went along with it.

Battle was possible with this creature, but it would have been a very difficult battle indeed, and a very confusing one, though not impossible.

Each party member's XP: 167,500 Level 11, tier 4!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

We ended the session here. Quite tired and beat, but in good way. The party have made a major accomplishment. They felt that the horror room battle and the golem battle were really tough. Tell the truth, I expected the party to arrive here with Arulashee (She knew where the expedition was, and could lead them here), so this may account for some of the difficulty, but the golem was quite... strong as well.

Arulashee's redoubt remain, as does the Ivory Sanctum, and fixing relations in Drezen... Not to mention- what will the party do with the Lexicon of Paradox? Next session is but week and half away (on the 4/4), so at least there is only a short wait. I hope to update the current character sheets status (level 11, tier 4) by the weekend.

I hope you're enjoying yourself! Feel free to comment.
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2015-03-26 at 12:30 AM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!