Pardon for the slight thread necromancy, I just wanted to update you with an end to the story, if any was interested.

The Eritrean woman started medical surveillance and treatment thanks to the fund and connections of my "fixer" doctor friend- she got a doctor for her specific illness, and another for her pregnancy.

But test results quickly complicated matters- She was not at an initial stage of her disease, but rather t an accelerated phase (Quite rare at her age). So we needed to get her adequate treatment, and fairly fast! The medication, though available in Israel, is in a reasonable price range only for those who have insurance, and as an asylum seeker she doesn't...

So I started to act in two venues:
1. Find a way to get her some meds, at least as a short term solution.
2. Get the UN to try and transfer her to another country where she could get medical insurance, as a humanitarian cause.

Trying to get the meds again included a LOT of leg work. I was starting to get really desperate (Almost thinking to try black market, though those meds are really ,really iffy), when a new doctor in the free clinic I work in suggested a small organization- Basically a guy who has the disease and his wife, who collect "surplus meds" from patients who changed medication or who died, and stock them for people who needed them.

She needed them, and thankfully the guy could give medications... for two months... We bought some time, but not a lot of it...

The UN has a lot of regulations, and quite a few forms to fill. But I learned that they also have a policy of not separating families. Now the woman has a child, and is pregnant, but the father is not married to her, and is "doing his own thing", though he occasionally comes and help with money and arrangements. But tracking him down proved nearly as difficult as tracking her brother before... Finally I managed to track him, and explained things simply: He can either come with her to another country (If the UN agrees), or he can sign up that he claims no custody for the children. In any case, he needs to do this fast.

He disappeared for two weeks. The man disappeared well, as our investigations didn't manage to find him. When he came back though (After "thinking about it") he was on board. We lso learned that she had family broad, in Italy, Germany and Sweden. We tried activating them to appeal to the UN in their own country, but that took time as well, and did not look promising.

A short time afterwards that her UN case worker was ready to move things further (The "Fixer" doctor explained the urgency quite... convincingly) but that they needed some forms signed, by quite a few people, including the husband, and her two doctors. And they needed them by tomorrow afternoon, cause then the case worker flies to be assigned in another country. If we miss the deadline, the process will start anew. One of the doctors though was abroad on convention in London, and her phone gave the message of "Currently out of the country, will get back to you when I get back..." and so on.

So... who do we know in London? Quite a few phone calls, till I got the phone of a LARPer in London who really got excited by this, tracked down the medical convention, tricked her way to the closed section of the hotel, and got to the doctor, saying to her "You don't know me, but I have this form from Israel and..." (The doctor upon her return tell me that she was now worried of working with me. Ahhhh, compliments!)

The short end, after some running around, we got the documents to the case worker to sign about 3 hours before his flight. Things were progressing well!

Until the Eritrean woman got hospitalized in urgency. Thankfully, We got all of her medical records. I don't know what would have happened if not. That was tense week, but she made it quite well and back. 2 days after she got out, we learned that the UN approved of her flying! (Thankfully they didn't call when she was hospitalized, or that might have started everything again)

So, a week ago she flew to Sweden, where her mother lives, with her husband and child. They will get citizenship, medical insurance, and a hospital already accepted her, and started supplying her the meds. It was a hard, but happy goodbye for me- I spent a lot of time on her "case", and have grown to be fond of her and family, but I'm quite happy for them. Most cases in this work don't end happily, and there is a LOT of frustration. It's nice when something does turn out for the best.

So- try, try, try, try, try ,try ,try ,try, try again! And don't lose heart, despite doubts, frustration and even some fear.

Taking a week or two more easily, and then on to the next patient. There are quite a few around. My only questions is still- Where is the loot!?