View Single Post

Thread: [PEACH] Binder class (WIP)

1. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [PEACH] Binder class (WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    If so that's great (the chart is throwing me off)it would might work out pretty strong, even for a capstone, but the high level stuff still needs rest to recharge, even if it's a 7th level vestige constantly active.
    True; the once-per-long-rest restriction will help. What I meant is that I don't really want to let the player have a 9th-level vestige always available at no risk - the core of Trusted Vestige is to reduce the risk of using a certain set of abilities that you've come to favour. By allowing them to make a binding last indefinitely, it means they can remove the risk entirely. By saying that the lasting pact has to be with a Trusted Vestige, it limits them to 7th level, so if they want to have 9th-level powers always available they have to take the risk of daily binding checks, so the DC of that check and the effects of failing can be used to balance the powers against each other. More powerful ability, higher DC and/or more inconvenient effects. Nothing crippling, but still enough to make the player think about it. Examples from 3.5 include an inability to lie, intense distrust of authority, an unwillingness to participate in theft or use stolen items, etc. In combat these are less important, but if the player has acted against these constraints recently, then that would impose penalties on things like initiative or damage rolls, and I do intend to bring that sort of thing into the 5e version. These penalties would be small (having a class that's crippled for a day if you fail a few checks in the morning is rather harsh) but still, no player likes it when their numbers get smaller, so it'll make them think twice about overstretching, and give players a reason to not just always bind the strongest vestiges they can get.

I've updated the pact augmentation stuff to be somewhat like a warlock's invocations. I tried not to have these provide any real ability-type stuff, because that should really come from the vestiges themselves.
    Last edited by anaximander19; 2015-05-20 at 07:42 AM.