Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
First thing's first: my apologies for not quoting where necessary, as my old mobile isn't giving me an easy life as it is. Also, this information and criticism is important, I hope you guys keep me, and the OP, (and anyone else who wants to help) on our toes, for as long as you help us make the 5e Binder worthy of the name "Pact Magic"
No worries on the quotes. Also, thanks for appreciating my input. It means a lot to be able to contribute to the updating of one of 3.5's coolest classes.
Even though Anaximander won't be back for a few more days, I'm planning some suggestions on how the OP could improve the class model. Among them is a change on how many vestiges you can have bound at a given level, and talk about making adjustments to the vestige template that might be less "1 size fits all". I aim for it to be a step in the right direction.
Yeah, this was one of my concerns, too, and I think that making vestiges less "one size fits all" would be a step in the right direction. Maybe make the abilities more guidelines than hard rules - X number of minor abilities, X number of slightly stronger powers, and then one big power? Guess I'll wait to see what you've got before offering critique in that department.
@Naberius - Frankly, I don't know for certain either what skills the Binder would have. So I work with guessing. But it's not an intended implication about me wanting the binder to be skill-heavy (at least not at this point) but an observation in the current design - the options for passive abilities include skill proficiencies. And I point out that it can get pretty messy as we go along. My current thoughts at this point involve offering advantage on thematically appropriate checks.
I wasn't saying that Binder would automatically be skill-heavy - was referring to you bringing up the possibility of up to 10 skills being availagle to Binders. And I think the advantage on appropriate checks would work quite well - fits Naberius's 3.5 powerset better than casting Friends.
In Paimon's example, I don't feel at ease adding an increase to dexterity or handing out skills. Instead, I may start giving the dancer theme in the form of a free ribbon, and might look something like this:
I'm still working on Paimon, He's not as easy as I thought, since his signature dance (move+attack everyone you move past) is something any melee-fighting character can already do in 5e. I'm currently trying to think up an innovative solution with him.
Yeah, a Dex bonus is kind of out of the question for 5e - I haven't really found anything that modifies stats besides, say, intellect devourers. I think that something that prevents/disadvantages opportunity attacks might be a good component of Paimon's powerset, though I don't know how to implement his Dance of Death. He'd probably also need some form of extra attacks.