View Single Post

Thread: Homebrew Weapon: Insect Glaive

1. - Top - End - #0
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Homebrew Weapon: Insect Glaive

Translating video games to tabletop usually doesn't work perfectly. I watched the video but still I'm not sure what the insect does. It looks like it is a ranged attack that "steals juice." You have made this too complicated and unwieldy to use in combat. Non-magical items cannot do what it is you are asking it to do. No way should you get +9 enhancement bonus for a measly 1,500 gp. Look up the magic item costs. A +9 enhancement bonus costs 81,000 gp and that's just for that bonus nevermind all the other things it does. I recommend that you simplify and streamline this to fit the tabletop game rather than trying to make it match the video game.

Glaive: The Insect Glaive is an exotic masterwork one-handed slashing weapon, dealing 1d6+strength modifier damage when sized for a medium creature, and threatening a critical on a 20 for double damage. As a swift action, you can use the glaive to give one order to the glaive's corresponding Kinsect, either Attack or Return.
    First of all, a glaive is a two-handed melee weapon with reach. You can hit foes 10 feet away but not adjacent foes. See SRD for glaive stats here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm Second, a medium glaive's damage is 1d10 with a triple critical hit (1d10/x3).

You have the appropriate swift action to activate the kinsect, but you are just trying to do too much to make it work like the video game.

Sizes are all messed up in video games. That weapon, not to mention the insect, is too big. On a screen it makes sense. You have to be able to see it. In tabletop, it has to be sized to the wielder.

Here is my edited and corrected suggestion with all construction costs and information listed below.

Insect Glaive is a +1 glaive with a large purple insect carved into its pole. As a swift action, the wielder of the glaive can activate the kinsect.

Kinsect
    Tiny Construct
    Hit Dice: ˝ d10 (2 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: Fly 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-9
    Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d3-1)
    Full Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d3-1)
    Space/Reach: 2˝ ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Steal essence
    Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will -5
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 14, Con —, Int — , Wis 1, Cha 1
    Skills:
    Feats:
    Environment: Insect Glaive
    Organization: Only with owner of insect glaive
    Challenge Rating: ˝
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement:
    Level Adjustment:

Steal Essence (Su): Once commanded by its owner, a kinsect can take a full-round action to fly to a foe within range, attack with its slam, and return to the insect glaive. Living creatures hit by a kinsect’s slam attack gain a negative level unless they succeed on Fortitude save (DC 10 + owner of the insect glaive's Charisma score). For each negative level bestowed, the owner of the insect glaive gains 1 temporary hit point. If the kinsect is destroyed, the temporary hit points are immediately lost. An insect glaive without its kinsect can be wielded as a normal +1 glaive until repaired. A kinsect may only be commanded once per round.

Moderate necromancy; CL 11th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Construct, animate object, vampiric touch; Price 10,308 gp.

Cost explanation: 8 gp for glaive, 300 gp for masterwork (all magic weapons have to be masterwork to start), 2,000 gp for +1 enhancement bonus and 8,000 gp the special ability (Kinsect). Total cost: 10,308 gp.
    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-06-04 at 01:22 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread