1. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A wizard did it! (playing with a random generator)

Experiment 2: The Death Snail
    Components: forest troll bone meal, ettercap tongues, giant eagle blood, efreet horns, goblin bone meal.

Method: After seeing the volume of the first shipment (I still have a barrel-full of beaks, if anyone wants them), the second was quite a disappointment. It left little to work with, though I believe I have created a creature of genuine utility, by a method easily replicated by any journeyman-arcanist.

First, you mix the blood and bone meal into a paste. Both giant eagles and forest trolls are magical creatures, and when mixed in this way, the echoes of their animating spirits will ignite, creating a sort of ersatz soul. Now you must act quickly, for the paste will try to escape from the mixing bowl. Before it does, pour it into a hollowed-out efreet horn and seal it shut with an ettercap tongue.

You will now see the creature writhe around uncontrollably for some minutes. I have determined the cause of this to be a sort of philosophical struggle between the goodness in the creature's blood and the evil that is ingrained in all of its other parts. Once the struggle is resolved, the snail will tend to attack any living creature it sees (I am not yet sure how it is able to see, but it very clearly does). Therefore it is advisable to imprison them as soon as the writhing commences.

Results: A death snail's appearance varies depending on the horn it was made from. Some are long and thing, others stubby and yet others curled into spirals. Regardless of shape, all are resistant to fire (despite their bodies being made from trolls), because their shells are made from efreet horn. Most are between 6 and 10 inches long. They possess a malign intellect, but desire only to bring death to all things. Death snails are vicious, attacking anyone they meet with their venomous tongues.

Death snails feed on blood, in much the same way as leeches.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Death Snail
    Tiny monstrosity, neutral evil

Armour Class 14 (natural armour)
    Hit Points 16 (3d4 + 9)
    Speed 10 ft., climb 10 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    14 (+2) 6 (-2) 16 (+3) 10 (+0) 11 (+0) 6 (-2)

Damage Resistance Fire
    Senses blindsight 30ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 10
    Languages -
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)

Actions

Leech. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Quite pleased with this one. It's partly inspired by a monster from Shadow Hearts: Covenant - that's where the name comes from. I believe the stat block above is roughly on par with the options for Find Familiar / Pact of the Chain as well, which is an added bonus if anyone wants a creepy, psychotic snail familiar.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-08-02 at 05:16 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig, MHP