Quote Originally Posted by Brova View Post
No, you just don't put broken crap on spell lists. It's much less work than spot checking everything that might be an issue.
Too much work, too little gain. Not gonna happen. Let's move on.

So I get to hope that my undead will attack the appropriate targets? Have you got default instructions for uncontrolled undead somewhere?
You stand by the door at the other side of the big room, bringing in the 2nd wave and splitting, shutting the door behind you.
I can describe dozens of different scenarios where this could be viable.

Ditto for social mechanics.
Not if you motivate them properly – then they'll work diligently to execute your agenda. It's all a question of how convincing your arguments + skill rolls + RP (+ maybe deception spells) are.

1. Mage: Conjurer; 6th level.
A 6th level Conjurer gets Spell Power, making him marginally better at casting glitterdust and web.
This is not a char-op discussion. You asked for theme and options. There's always something better than solution X – that doesn't mean that solution X doesn't work or is not viable.

Don't help casters, also a much bigger investment for about the same effect.
1. As if casters need help.
2. I don't remember noncasters ever having all the proposed options using the official rules.

No. That is bad design.
You kind'a skipped the "Nevertheless…" part – and more importantly, you didn't express an opinion regarding my proposal for the Warrior.

Death Masters are in the Dragon Compendium, which IIRC counts.
1. Says who? Counts for what? Where is that written?
2. Nowhere in my codex do I claim to support nonofficial 3.5e materials from any source whatsoever.

And Trapsmiths or ... whatever the cultist is ... should count too.
When I say "fullcaster", I categorically refer to a class with 9th level spells. No exceptions.

From the perspective of a medieval society where governmental legitimacy comes from providing protection to citizens, you are the government if you dispatch threats the government can't or doesn't. If governments have high level adventurers in them, you've only postponed the point where PCs have more legitimacy than the government, not removed it.
I don't subscribe to that perspective, and neither does anyone I ever played with.
1. There's more power potential from behind the scenes, when you're not in the spotlight.
2. Kingdoms are not run by rulers that go on adventures.

What?
I noticed that you said "Then why are you nerfing spells that kill fools? ray of stupidity kills people (or rather, animals) just as hard as finger of death, but it is lower level and doesn't get nerfs".

1. Low-level spells do ability damage.
2. You say (rightfully so) that this makes them deadly to low-Int (or in general, low-ability) opponents.
3. I agree and suggest preventing them from becoming lethal.
4. You resent.
5. Me – confused.

Then I noticed that earlier you said "It also makes everything short of Constitution damage, maybe Strength damage, and maybe damage to casting scores irrelevant. Better to just not put it on people's spell lists."

So either they don't matter or they're too much. Which is it?

They should have 1 HP or so. Drop a control temperature with Flash Frost. Does a DoT with a very big radius.
Good luck orchestrating that one on a regular basis while adventuring.

What? wish as written grants everyone any item that exists as soon as they can find and defeat an Efreet. If you're going to fix carrying capacity, but not that, what are you even doing?
Fair enough.
Wish spell does not allow instant creation of magic items. That one always takes time and the usual chances for success/failure.
Only deities can do that – through means that the rules don't specify.