Bonfire of the Vanities
Large Elemental (Extraplanar, Fire)
Hit Dice: 15d8+60 (127 hp)
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, +7 Dex +3 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 12
Attack: Slam +14 melee (2d6+4 plus 2d6 fire)
Full Attack: 2 slams +14 melee (2d6+4 plus 2d6 fire)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Burn, Gout of Flame, Objects of Sin
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/ó, darkvision 60 ft., detect magical writing, elemental traits, immunity to fire, sin blessed, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +16, Will +7
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 25, Con 18, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 15
Skills: Concentration +18, Disguise +18 (to appear as normal bonfire only), Listen+20, Spot +20
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved InitiativeB, Iron Will, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Elemental Plane of Fire
Challenge Rating: 11
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Advancement: 16-18 HD (Large), 19-36 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: ó
A bonfire of the vanities is a particularly evil fire elemental that appears to be a normal bonfire. It stalks places of worship and attempts to destroy all magical writing on scrolls and spellbooks.
A bonfire of the vanities cannot enter water or any other nonflammable liquid. A body of water is an impassible barrier unless a bonfire of the vanities can step or jump over it.
Bonfires of the vanities speak Common and Ignan, though they rarely choose to do so.
Once a bonfire of the vanities has located magical writing, it attack the scrolls or magic books with the highest level spells first and then attacks the owner with its slam attacks. It takes particular delight in setting a large group of unsuspecting humanoids alight with its gout of flame ability.
Burn (Ex): A bonfire of the vanitiesí slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the elementalís flaming body. Those hit by a fire elementalís slam attack also must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 21) or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Creatures hitting a bonfire of the vanities with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the creatureís slam attack, and catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save.
Detect Magical Writing (Sp): A bonfire of the vanities can detect any magical writing within 60 feet as detect magic spell.
- Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.
- Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
- Unlike most other living creatures, an elemental does not have a dual natureóits soul and body form one unit. When an elemental is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, donít work on an elemental. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life.
- Proficient with natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
- Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Elementals not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Elementals are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
- Elementals do not eat, sleep, or breathe
Gout of Flame (Su): Once a day as a standard action, a bonfire of the vanities can utter a blasphemous phrase that causes droplets of flame to rain down upon all creatures within a 300-foot radius. Only good and neutral (not evil) creatures are harmed by the fire, taking 6d6 points of fire damage unless they succeed at Reflex save (DC 19) for half damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Objects of Sin (Ex): Three times a day as a standard action, a bonfire of the vanities may target any scroll or spellbook within 30 feet, whether or not is has line of sight and even if the object has full cover, causing it to immediately burn to cinder unless it succeeds on a Reflex save (DC 19). The save DC is Charisma-based.
Sin Blessed (Su): A bonfire of the vanities gains a +2 profane bonus to all saves from any attack from creatures with the Good subtype.