View Single Post

Thread: 5e Monster Building Workshop

1. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 5e Monster Building Workshop Based on Movies. Novels, TV

Spoiler: Reply to above post
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBasken View Post
    So for defensive, it's 1/4 for the HP and a minimum of 5 for the AC (of 15), averages to 2.75.

Offensive, it's 2 for the DPR and 0 for the attack bonus (+2), averages to 1.

(2.75 + 1) / 2 = 1.85, rounded up to 2, then I arbitrarily added 1 because of his Klingon-y toughness (the Brak'lul thing). So it should be 3, not 4.
    That's... not how the calculation works at all. You don't average anything until the end. Provisional Defensive CR is 0.25, then you look at the target AC, which is 13. Your AC is 15, so 15-13=2. A difference of 2 means you increase the Def CR by 1. That's it. CR5 has nothing to do with it. You look up the HP, then shift based on the AC.

Likewise, the attack bonus is +5. That's 2 more than the target attack bonus for the DPR, so you shift Atk CR up by one.

You can't just go throwing in random CR bonuses for abilities. Especially in this case, because the 'Klingon toughness' doesn't affect the overall CR at all. All it adds is one save and one damage resistance (the regeneration is already taken into account above). Neither save bonuses nor resistances matter until you have three or more of either of them, and then they just modify the effective HP and AC.

Okay, I've just watched the entirety of Steven Universe this weekend, so I think I'll start with my favourite gem, Pearl. I'll be aiming for a CR of 3 or 4.

Spoiler: Gifs
    Show
    Parry!

Holo-Pearl = Mirror Image, right?

Pearl
    Medium humanoid (gem), lawful neutral

Armour Class 14
    Hit Points 78 (12d8 + 24)
    Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    12 (+1) 18 (+4) 14 (+2) 19 (+4) 7 (-2) 6 (-2)

Saving Throws Con +4, Wis +0
    Skills History +8, Investigation +6
    Senses passive Perception 8
    Languages Common
    Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Do it for Her. If Pearl can see an ally, she has advantage on Wisdom saving throws and is immune to the Frightened condition.

Innate Spellcasting. Pearl's spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 14). She can innately cast the following spells, using her gem as a focus.

At will: Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion
    1/day: Mirror Image

Magical Weapons. Pearl's weapon attacks are magical. As a free action on her turn, Pearl can switch her weapon between its sword-form (which is one-handed) and spear-form (which is two-handed).

Actions

Multiattack. Pearl makes three melee weapon attacks.

Spear. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d10 + 4) slashing damage.

Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) slashing damage.

Reactions

Parry. Pearl adds 2 to her AC against one melee attack that would hit her. To do so, she must see the attacker and be wielding a one-handed melee weapon.

Spoiler: Notes
    Show
    I've statted the 'spear' as if it were a finesse longsword/battleaxe, because that's a fair representation of how she wields it.

Def CR: 78HP = CR1, AC=14+1 (parry)=15, final Def CR: 2
    Atk CR: 27DPR = CR4, Atk bonus = +6, final Atk CR: 4
    Overall CR: (2+4)/2=3.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-10-23 at 04:54 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig, MHP