Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
It isn't mundane at all, though. It can do things people in real life can't, even if that's only because people in real life never get chances to try (such as bypassing magical barriers and whatnot.)

Unless you have a different definition for "mundane" than you used to...
This is what I'm working on:

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
I'm not sure you can say anything that exists in reality is "Magic," so it must be mundane, which I was assuming meant "Not-magic" (I mean, it could mean "Normal" or "Boring" but anything which is either of those things doesn't deserve to be called Extraordinary.)

In fact, that's a good point. Look at what all the ability tags are actually called. "Extraordinary" and "Supernatural". So "Beyond the capabilities of normal humans" and "Beyond the fundamental laws of reality." Ex healing people, Ex moving really fast, those make sense because, y'know what, they're beyond the capacities of normal humans, but that doesn't mean no-one, anywhere, ever, can do them. Hey, even Ex Plane Shift works: I mean, in real life, there aren't any locations that you can't at least hypothetically go to just by moving there normally - anyway, in Norse Mythology I'm pretty sure you can get between the planes just by climbing up and down Yggdrasil; there's nothing about it being another plane of existence or whatnot that means you can't walk between them without magic - "You can't just walk into Baator because you couldn't do that in real life" makes about as much sense as "You can't just be an elf because you couldn't do that in real life".

That's another thing. Just because no-one can do it in real life doesn't mean it's magic. I mean, elves don't suddenly stop existing in an anti-magic field. Why? Because there's nothing inherently magical about being a pointy-eared, graceful, frail, mildly insomniac humanoid. It doesn't happen in real life, sure. But then, as previously pointed out, falling at terminal velocity, swimming in lava, and then being perfectly fine afterwards doesn't happen in real life, and having hit points isn't even an Ex ability. Compared to the suspension of disbelief you have to pull for people to do so much as have that many hit points, Ex'ing all of the things doesn't seem that terrible.

This is pretty much an extended version of the whole Guy at the Gym malarkey, only it goes from "The guy at the gym can't do it, so no-one can" to "No-one can do it, therefore it must break the fundamental laws of reality." And even if it does, it's not as though the subordinate clause of literally the first sentence in the Ex ability description doesn't exist. (That said, I don't like the idea of abilities which break the laws of physics but still have an Ex tag. If something breaks the laws of physics, it is literally, definitively supernatural).

Hell, the druid's animal companion isn't even magic. Healing people certainly isn't magic; I'd have died at birth if it was. Seeing really well in the dark? Not magic. Being good with words, to the point of turning people fanatical in six seconds flat? Sorry, not magic: I'm not seeing the broken laws of physics here - hey, maybe you just have a really sexy voice or something. Knowing a lot of stuff? Nope, not magical. Being fearless, and utterly immune to every poison and disease known to man? Pushing it, but I'm pretty sure that that's more the laws of biology being broken than the laws of physics, and you're allowed to break those. More seriously, just being hard enough that you're functionally immune even if not technically immune (id est, to the point of no mechanical effect) makes sense. Being so scary you daze people? Yeah, that's not magical either.

There are tons of ways that you can justify the mundane equivalents of... honestly, most spell effects, as has already been mentioned in a post about bombs. We just don't, because we have this preconception that magic has to be able to defeat mundane at everything.