View Single Post

Thread: Is role-playing worth it? :smalleek:

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Question Is role-playing worth it? :smalleek:

I'm starting a new campaign for my D&D group soon (3.5e FYI) and it's the first campaign I'm going to DM (though I've DMed a quest or two in the last campaign and in the one before that).
    Now my previous DMs didn't put much effort into making us role-play our characters, which is a shame. When my friend first explained D&D to me I thought it would really be cool to play it with in-game role-playing, but the opportunity never came. I was able to role-play my paladin a bit in my current campaign but not to the level I wanted.
    Now that I'm starting my own campaign I'm torn. On the one hand I would really like my players to role-play, I'm planing on giving quests related to their backstories and awarding good role-playing with a bit of XP. But on the other hand they never seem to be interested in the fluff of things, when I DMed a quest a few months back they told me to skip a fare bit of dialog between two major characters (a part of the conversation was supposed to be a plot hook for another part of the quest).
    Now, I know I would enjoy role-playing in any campaign and so does another member of the group (which happens to be my twin sister) but is it worth the effort? I don't think my players would enjoy my campaign as much if I shoved role-playing down their throats, any advice?
    Last edited by karinrin55; 2015-10-23 at 09:18 AM.
    "If ever in doubt, roll sense motive (Or knowledge)"- Me

And also 78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Too many background ideas, too little characters