View Single Post

Thread: The Strategist

1. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: The Strategist

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    I'll give advice to my competition.

Some pieces of it look strong, though it's really not beyond what your spellcasting classes can do, so it's probably fine. You might prefer to give either Constitution or Wisdom saving throw proficiency, as those are more common (Strength and Intelligence is fine, just not very good).

I would like to see the archetypes distinguished even more from one another. As a reasonably active homebrewer, I think it's good when classes have archetype options that can really diverge. As it is, you have one more offensive and one more defensive, but I'm not sure such a binary approach is ideal for the class. I don't have real suggestions for that, however.

For the 14th level ability, I might think of some way to replenish tactical points. Perhaps if an ally gets a critical hit or an enemy rolls a 1 on an attack could be methods for restoring them. Just some thoughts.
    Thank you very much for reading my work! You make a good point about the Strength saving throw not being very useful, and I suppose that I did that because I didn't want to make this class another "Dex-Based whatever" because that's how a lot of people are going these days. However, I probably shouldn't try to control my players like that... Constitution saves would be better (and more fitting) for this class anyway.

I'll see what I can do to distinguish the archetypes more. It might just be a matter of writing more/better flavor text, but I'll see if I can do something to distinguish them from one another.

I love your idea regarding recovering tactical points on certain conditions: I sense that this class will really want more of them as they progress.

Does anyone else have any comments?

EDIT: I just made a major revision, and I feel much better about how it's turned out. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by ruy343; 2015-11-21 at 12:52 PM.
    My first homebrew: 5e Strategist