Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
... I think I need advice on how to be less anti-social.

I switched over from CRPGs to actual RP fairly recently. Trying to unlearn all my bad habits from years of playing against scripted computers was hard. Heck, I wouldn't be able to answer that question, since I've been disconnected from reality (aka sapient people who have real feelings and are actually able to think with a certain level of smartness).

Once, during RP, my PC (and her PC boyfriend) had helped taken out some monsters, and were on their way to claim their reward from a DMPC who amounts to a Queen. The NPC (leading them to the DMPC) starts to talk about the history of the place, and my PC starts screaming, freaking out and asks him to shut up (I thought it was a natural response...). For this, a bunch of people stared at my PC, and the NPC stays awkwardly silent for the rest of the trip to the DMPC.

I decided to take a timeout, and let the boyfriend's player talk to the DMPC to claim their reward while my PC just stays silent.

I am not a mature person.

... what sort of game (system) would be best for me, by the way?

Spoiler: This is how I feel when I play an actual roleplaying game, as opposed to a CRPG
Show

I probably should write my own stories, instead of trying to roleplay with other people.
There doesn't need to be a "best" game, and there is no pressure to pick one single "perfect" game or system.

My advice is to try to have fun doing whatever it is you are doing, especially when other people are involved. Try different things and see what you like. Read lots of different game systems and ask your friends to try new games with you if you find one that catches your fancy. Don't be afraid to do the same when someone else proposes something new.

If you are in a group that is into "serious" role play with dramatic acting and "deep" characters, just do your best. Don't worry about what is "right" or "best" and just ham it up. Try to think of it like a movie or a tv show and emulate a character you like.

Just don't take it too seriously, these are all games we're talking about.

Also, if you've got stories in you and a propensity for writing, do it! There's no reason you can't write stories, play crpgs and play ttrpgs all at the same time. They're different creative and fun pursuits (or should be).