When you make any attack roll and get a 1 you follow it up with a roll on table 1. Should that also come up as a 1 you follow the instruction of rolling again on table 1 and on table 2 applying both effects.

Bearing in mind this chart is currently for them at low level. They are all level 3 and have yet to get their hands on magicky goodness, so they are all dealing with common weapons. As the weapons get better I may adjust this or leave as is. One thought is to give them a save to prevent the breakage.

That's just for a bit of flavor in the text and I can change that on the fly depending. Calling them inept is my go to if I can't think of anything :P

Point taken. Those ones could perhaps do with being replaced.

None of the party currently use any of those styles, which is something I had in mind when doing it. If they go down that route then I will add alternate options for how they are fighting. i.e your weapon breaks in two handing fighting would become something like "roll a d6 1-3 your main weapon breaks, 4-6 your offhand weapon breaks"

I've read some critical failure threads and they seem to divide opinions. I decided to ask the players if they wanted to add it in as something out of the ordinary. It also lets them laugh at NPC's who fail.