Quote Originally Posted by gadren View Post
Thanks for the input!
When you say 3.5, do you mean half way between tiers 2 and 3, or between 3 and 4?
Between 3 and 4. They're more versatile than most T4 classes that focus on powerful, but more powerful than those who focus on versatility, but not really on the level of things like the Bard or Alchemist.

Bolt Ace
  • Crossbow Maven: Good. Cutting out an obligatory feat tax is always worth it.
  • Squall Technique: So... a free stance (probably Galebreaker's Stance to ignore wind issues), and some improved ability to spend feats on maneuvers you can sort of use in combat? Ok... I feel like maneuvers and deeds sort of occupy the same conceptual space, though.
  • Specialty: Neat. Archtypical (Mysterious Stranger) would be your best bet for utility, since then you could be a face. Disciplined is just... so many bonus feats total. I think too many, probably-- maybe make it free maneuvers instead. It also kind of conflicts with Extra Gritty, which I feel like is also necessary for maneuver use.
  • Perceptive: Good.
  • Sneak Attack: Okay? Gunslingers, even Bolt Aces, never really lacked for damage, though.
  • Bonus Feats: So... many... but good; you need so many feats. (Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Rapid Reload, and Deadly Aim; probably also Clustered Shots, Crossbow Mastery, and Improved Critical; quite possibly TWF feats and Gun Twirling, especially with the next feature)
  • Armor Piecing: Yeesh. I know guns could do this already, but it kind of feels like too much?

My analysis: It's a lot better at what it does-- the extra bonus feats and return of Dex-to-Damage in particular. Like the Barbarian, you'll be a pretty fierce combatant, but kind of meh otherwise? Unless you go the face route-- a dip in Inquisitor (Heretic) with the Reformation Inquisition will get you your social skills based off Wis, or you can just go Archtypical (Mysterious Stranger). I'm not sure what would really fit for them, though... maybe add Disable Device and Trapfinding? That would go decently well, methinks.

Cavalier
Oh geez... just looking at the top, this looks like it's going to be a mish-mash...
  • Aura: Minor Auras still steal the show; the Major Aura bonus is, I think, much too low to be really useful. I'd bump it up to maybe +1/3 levels. Or start at +2, then improve by +2 at 7th, 12th, and 20th. You could probably also use more known at once. Honestly, I suspect you could have all auras known and you'd be fine.
  • Call-Out: Alright, but it seems like it's occupying the same conceptual space as Challenge-- maybe fold them together.
  • Bonus Feats: Over two levels, you gain five of these. That's a lot.

• The Skill Focuses are nice, but kind of eh.
  • Tactician is useful, but I feel like it could be more gracefully folded into something else. Maybe a Major Aura to grant everyone a teamwork feat you possess?
  • Combat Reflexes: Why? I mean, it's good for a tank, but not for a leader or a mounted fighter.
  • Mounted Combat: You should get this at first-- you'll probably be trying for those mounted feats ASAP.
  • Shield block: Too much complexity for too small a bonus. I'd say either make it a straight upgrade to the AC bonus, or apply your shield bonus to touch AC whenever you're not denied your Dex bonus.
  • Bulwark of Defense: Suddenly tank abilities.

And... I'm going to stop right there. This class has a serious focus problem. The three classes you merged were conceptually similar, but mechanically distinct: one was a leader, one a striker, and one a tank. Now you're mashing all of them together, and it's starting to hurt. Specifically, I think, the mounted combat/charging abilities and the tanking abilities, which feel diametrically opposed. I think a choice is in order here: either be a Lancer, and get the offensive charge-type bonuses, or be a Templar, and get the defensive tank-type bonuses.
  • Grant Move Action: I'd like this to be useable much more often. Maybe per-encounter instead of per-day.
  • Banner: This is another aura. Get rid of it. If you want to keep the "banner" flavor bit, maybe improve your aura bonus by 1 when flying your banner (and -1 if it's dropped or destroyed)
  • Supreme Charge: how does this interact with Spirited Charge? (Because you WILL have Spirited Charge)

So... yeah. It's a solid T3, but it's a sloppy class.