View Single Post

Thread: Where does the term "Gish" come from?

1. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Where does the term "Gish" come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    It's not that hard a question to answer. My copy of the 1e Fiend Folio describes githyanki warrior-mages as gishes, and while I may be wrong about this, I think the Fiend Folio was the first book with githyanki in it. The copyright page says 1981.

I wouldn't be flabbergasted if someone finds an earlier reference, but that's probably damn close to the original.
    this, but I thought it came from some module.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post
    But the question is not really about githyanki warrior-mages, it's about human and demihuman fighter-mages and the like. I doubt that anyone had or needed a word for fighter-mages in 1e or 2e. They were multi-classed fighter-mages, they were mechanically uniform. The term "gish" is useful because in 3X there are an endless variety of ways to be a guy with a sword who casts arcane spells.
    Good point, but I recall the term being used of fighter-mages in the days of 2E.

What we don't have are terms for other combos - specifically Rogue-Mages, which are quite common.

We do have the term Theurge I suppose, though I'm not sure where this comes from ?
    Last edited by nedz; 2016-03-04 at 04:56 AM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook