View Single Post

Thread: The LA-assignment thread

1. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread!

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnno View Post
    Does this thing really even deserve a LA at all? It's only CR 5, and has 6 HD to start with. Large with reach, +8 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, +4 Wis, +6 Cha, +10 NA. That's a good set of stats, but it's also missing out on 6 levels of class features.

A Half Ogre from Races of Destiny has only slightly worse physical stats on +2 LA and no RHD. I think I would much rather be a Half Ogre with 6 class levels than one of these things with 6 Outsider HD (Half Ogre Fighter 6 might even be better, with reasonably good feats), which makes me think +2 LA is too much.
    Really? I think +2 LA fits pretty well. 6 levels of fighter give the half-ogre worse reflex and will saves (and that's before factoring in the achaierai's racial ability bonuses). Remember, ECL 8 is where Charm Monster, Confusion, and Fear start getting used: the +5 the Achaierai is ahead of the half-ogre will save the party more than once.

Also, I don't see how you claim their ability scores are almost the same. The achaierai has 2 more strength, 2 more constitution, 4 more dexterity, 4 more wisdom, 2 more intelligence and 8 more points of charisma. The half-ogre will have a single ability increase from his class levels, but it won't make up for this.

You say it has CR 5 as if that is a reason to lower the LA. Ignoring that the CR system fails to do what it's supposed to do at all levels, almost all monsters have CR's lower than their ECL. A kobold adept 4 is CR 1 but ECL 4. A half-fey, widely regarded as a well-balanced template, has +2 LA but only +1 CR.

Also, AC. Counting the higher dexterity, an Achaierai will have an AC about 8 points above the half-ogre's, even if it has to pay double for basic armor.

Finally, the Achaierai is simply faster. Speed matters if you melee, and a 20 ft. increase in speed matters a lot.

So yes, the Achaierai is fine at +2 LA.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-04-25 at 03:58 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!