View Single Post

Thread: The Gods' Own Thunder [PEACH]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default The Gods' Own Thunder [PEACH]

So, I've been thinking of a spell which I think is evocative and Iconic, but not well implemented in Pathfinder and D&D 3.5, which is that of Holy warriors throwing lightning, so I've put this together.

Glorious Thunder
    School conjuration [Good, electricity]; Level paladin 2, cleric 4 Domain Good 3, Glory 2
    Casting time 1 full round
    Components V, S, DF (A Fulgerite worth at least 25gp per caster level)
    Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target one creature within range
    Effect Divine thunderbolts
    Duration 1 round/level; SR no

You call to hand bolts of the Gods' own thunder. While this spell is active, the target may make attacks with these bolts as if making thrown weapon attacks, however, these attacks are touch attacks and use the casters casting ability score in place of their dexterity add strength for these attacks. Each bolt functions as a thrown weapon, and deals 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8) plus your charisma bonus, and has a range increment of 60 ft. Half of the damage dealt by these bolts is electricity, and half is divine energy as per flamestrike. A new bolt may be called to hand as a free action within the duration of the spell, so long as a bolt is not currently in hand.
    So, main questions: Do you think this spell works properly (IE, are there any glitches)? Is this spell appropriately leveled? Is this spell objectionable in some way (Balance-wise)? Would you use this spell if given the opportunity? Do you otherwise have any comments?

Changelog:
    25/5/16: Twiddled formatting, made SR no, shifted spell level to Cleric 4, added to Good and Glory domains at 3.
    26/5/16: Corrected Range and target, altered weapon charging.
    23/6/16: Removed weapon charging, removed holy weapon as DF option. Clarified the bolts count as thrown weapons
    Last edited by Sayt; 2016-06-22 at 03:10 PM.
    Baruk Khazd! Khazd ai-mnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.