Red / GM post

Spoiler
Show
Red's Diplomacy: (1d20)[11]

At your chorus of resistance, a vein twitches at the Lord-Mayor's blubbery temple, just above his thin brows. Nevertheless, his voice is the same rich, rumbling baritone as before, neither hurried nor agitated. "Undoubtedly so, my lady. We are not lashunta, however, nor do I have any who have placed themselves at my disposal. As I have said, I am grateful - immensely so! - that my life has been whisked free from death's snares, all thanks to you. Yet I do not think that my title is so precarious thus far that it would be risked by a pigeon or two gone astray."

Grobaras pops another slice of cheese into his mouth and chews thoughtfully, seemingly unaware of the implicit irony of his words as he idly surveys the lavish feast set before all of you. "The spell that you ask for, after all, is ever so costly... as a humble servant of the city, it would hardly befit me to bequeath something so expensive for a single use, on a mission whose importance, I must confess, I have not entirely been able to successfully impress on the Council... There are also those who say that a band of mercenaries of dubious background cannot be trusted-"

"T-then don't... s-send me. Use t-the... m-money for me f-for... the sp-pell..." Her voice come out louder and rather more rudely than Red had intended them to sound. Blushing a palpable shade of scarlet under her tanned skin, Red visibly shrinks back in her seat, looking down at her hands balled on her lap.

"Rest assured, Miss Allin, that unlike my fellow compatriots who run this city, your specific past has no bearing on the exceedingly high trust I have placed in you and your friends." There is a faint glimmer of smug amusement in the Lord-Mayor's beady eyes as he chuckles aloud, his entire chair shuddering along with his corpulent bulk. "What I was going to say was that if you all are so insistent, then very well, I shall oblige. You shall have your Sending spell. But only on the condition that I send a deputy of the Council's choosing along with you - to satisfy all parties that the scroll will be returned if unused, and to put the Council at ease of mind. What say you?"

Sense Motive DC 15
Spoiler
Show
Given how quickly he arrived at an offer of compromise, it's unlikely that Grobaras had actually come up with this on the fly. He's likely had a person in mind that he would have sent along with you either way, and this is just his way of turning an increasingly expensive situation to his advantage.