Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
I'm not saying that adding new classes is wrong, just that people should try to work within the system before they resort to inflating it and that there should be a compelling reason to add a new class. The last 5 classes in the overhaul project are archetypes that I wanted in it for year – but I didn't add them until I got them figured out correctly, and I only added them because there was no way to emulate their set of abilities by working within the system.
You said that... but some people, like me? We don't settle for just feats/builds/class combos to get what we want. I want to play Paladin. You say play a Cleric/Warrior. But, that's not a Paladin. I don't have the ability to Smite Evil - and neither Hammer of God or Blast of the Infidels are good replacements fluff wise - I don't see any way for a Cleric/Warrior to get a special mount. I don't see any way to emit a protective aura for my allies...

I can't play a Totemist, I can't play a Psychic Warrior Claw Master, I can't play a lot of things... and well, PrC's, and extra classes can help open them up. Yeah, I get what you mean. That person should try to work within the system, rather than inflating it. But, considering how difficult it is for any one system to cover character concepts and archetypes, just with feats, builds and class combos alone? I think they should try and make it so that making a new class is not that difficult to do. I mean I get your not going commercial with this or anything... but I think your attempt to crack down on classes isn't really working...