Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
Right, and the guide is talking optimization. If you want to diverge from the guide, nobody is going to show up your house and beat you up. If you dont want to super optimize your character, that's awesome, good for you.

The guide is just that; a guide. It's good to know what you could do, and it's good to know the optimal choices at each level so that you have an idea for what route to take up until you diverge, or understand that if you don't take those choices, you're likely handicapping yourself a bit.

I guess that perhaps he could have been more clear about why you don't go with a different split, but I'd have to reread the guide to make sure that he didn't already. I'm fairly certain that a lot of it has to do with Aura, and the fact that it not only aids you and makes you more "tanky" but also because it assists the party without costing resources. It's a seriously good ability for a 6th level ability
Don't get me wrong: I think it might be the best level 6 ability in the game.

That being said, it's arguable, in a level 20 vacuum, to say that the pal2/sorcerer18 with his level 9 spells is better. It's a matter of preference.