Quote Originally Posted by Zilrax View Post
I think it's a sign of how desperate I am to have a game that I've not yet dropped this game but I just had this in an ooc post from the gm.

Spoiler
Show
"now I dun want to hate on you or anything for enjoying yourself with the system Zilrax, but you propably want to ditch the powergaming and focus on creative sollutions a bit more in the long run, because.. thats what'll earn ya the big wins in my games. As hinted earlier, this first one was a test fight at CR 7, usually those screw folks over if you give them only a minor edge (like the terrain) but if any of you had downed it in two rounds with some powerbuilding mechanic I'd have adjusted the campaign (or the character if necessary) Accordingly. You can't tell these things just looking at stats, playstyles apply too, and you retreating to reasess was the most efficent way of dealing with the situation. But! Remember, its an fun campaign, its not all about problem-sollution thinking.

In another campaign of mine I'm fond of using a set of demons, the Seven Sins and each of them has one unique ability that is designed to screw with players the more they try to game the system, until they actually stop and plan on their feet to deal with the character they face, which is made somewhat easy by knowing each sins motif going into things. For example, Pride, my second favourite of the lot, the incarnation of flamboyant overconfidence, she automatically rolls 1 higher than the players, winning initative, any struggles, automatically taking the highest AC and save available, etc, and the way to beat her is not come up with a demon banishing spell or brute-forcing it but
SpoilerShow
To intentionally fail a saving throw and botch their own fight, after which pride will be compelled to fail even harder, her .. pride making her one up the players even there.

Or, I have Wrath,
SpoilerShow
Who is unbeatable unless you surrender the fight."

I am perturbed. And trying to decide how to address this.

For context the cr 7, we're level 7, is a huge earth elemental we are fighting underground. Or were. And I was discussing how to sneak past we'd need flight, but evidently this is power gaming and we need creative solutions to avoiding tremorsense. Whatever that means. Our party is my cleric, a magus with no damage spells, a rakshasa paragon, a two weapon ranger who was captured and an archer ranger who does not have clustered shots. Most of us do next to no damage to it cus dr/- and Earthglide. So I called a retreat and took Dismissal and Ardor's Onslaught instead since we don't have access to mass flying abilities. Which evidently is not creative enough.
>To intentionally fail a saving throw and botch their own fight

>Who is unbeatable unless you surrender the fight.

Hellooooo unintuitive game design. Only time I've seen that sort of logic working was Undertale, and it's frigging Undertale.