Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
Hey, awesome! Looks like we're in this!
Bust out the highest of fives!

So first up, I don't really believe in multiplayer for videogames, and I certainly don't believe in multiplayer balance. Balance is for Blizzard, pretty much every other big game company in the strategy game space are experimenting with profoundly imbalanced games designed around single player. In EU4 it's okay for France to be 800 times the power of Ulm because the goal is to one day be strong enough to beat France.
Interesting. I have no qualms with multiplayer, but given the tremendous risks associated with doing indie development as-is, adding multiplayer seems a good way to stack the odds against you. Well-scoped single player is much safer.

Designing this as a single player experience gives me a way freer hand to do interesting narrative driven stuff too.
Oh-ho? I would love to hear more on this. Thus far I've pictured this as a head-to-head strategy game, with the option of playing against an AI opponent. How do you envision single player working?

That's the hypothetical board game design. With a video game my natural instinct is to do something more like a Paradox game; there's more time and therefore room for added complexity.
I was thinking a similar direction for the video game version, so we're on the same page there. I still have some thoughts on the board game design that may be useful, but it's getting late, and I'm going to give my brain some sleep. Will post mullings tomorrow.