View Single Post

Thread: Land Druid and it's AC problems

1. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: Land Druid and it's AC problems

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Indeed, though to be honest I haven't found a table that really enforces the PHB fluff to the letter (which would include names), hey, to each their own.

By now I feel that the metal taboo on druids is a sacred cow and, frankly, has always been ridiculous: why is metal armour bad (and only sheet meat armour, not studs or anything) but a metal weapon fine?

I mean, to me it's basically equivalent to paladins falling due to alignment, barbarians and bards becoming lawful and thus losing their class features, monks becoming non-lawful and losing their class features and so on: it/s a legacy thing and there for fluff and/or flavour. It is a suggestion you, as a player are free to ignore (barring DM fiat of course, but I see communicating with your DM regarding Character Input And Legality to be pretty much self explanatory). If it's not mechanically enforced it's up for grabs.
    In 1e and 2e, the argument was as follows:
    1- Armor making is way more complicated and technologically advanced than most weapon construction; including every weapon that was on the Druid list; so from an anti-technology standpoint it was a lot bigger 'sin'
    2- There is a difference between picking up a piece of metal and swinging it around compared to completely covering your body in it in terms of blocking natural energies (which remember armor and magic energies were more of a problem back then)
    3- The 'natural spirits' which often empowered Druid magic had lots of rules and taboos which didn't make sense to mortals, metal armor restriction could just be one of them
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2017-03-03 at 02:48 PM.