View Single Post

Thread: Roleplaying Rules

1. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Roleplaying Rules

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html

Rulebooks are for describing the mechanics. Everything needs a name for convenience's sake. Otherwise we wouldn't know what the hell we're talking about. These names however are only for talking about the rules themselves. Although the name offers guidelines these aren't written in stone and are, during gameplay, subordinate to the setting/world/background.

A game setting/world has titles and "labels", which come with certain expectations.

If someone enter the town screaming "the barbarians are coming from the river, hide your kids, hide your wife and hide your husband because they are killing everyone out there!" it means foreign invaders, who might be considered wild and or uncivilised are descending on the town. Their class doesn't have be barbarians.

The same goes for the title paladin. If a group announces themselves as Paladins of Soepapeke, i'm expecting people alligned with a certain "Order" who follow a certain philosophy, goal, tenet. If the group consists of a Warlock, a Rogue and a Monk I wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Edit: or just look at JellyPooga's post: Both use the Barbarian game mechanics but have a completly diffrent vibe in the settting.
    Last edited by mig el pig; 2017-03-12 at 08:08 AM.