Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
It came up in another thread that people thought I was joking when I said that Barbarians are uncomfortable when hedged in by walls, and so your Barbarian character feels uncomfortable when hedged in by walls.
Most of your examples have nothing in common with each others. Something like no racism is not a fluff "rule" it's part of the players' contract become some would be uncomfortable. Not having a character who believe he's from the 18th earth century might be impossible because the 18th earth doesn't exist in that multiverse. Memorizing the adventure has nothing to do with the character, it's just cheating.

For your barbarian example however, you're just wrong. There's no rule about it, it's just suggestion. I'll refer you to the warlock section to show how those "roleplaying rules" contradict each others.

From worn and hebolden: "A warlock is defined by a pact with an otherworldly being."
From the Great Old One: "The Great Old One might be unaware of your existence or entirely indifferent to you, but the secrets you have learned allow you to draw your magic from it."

So by those "rules", you can choose that the patron is unaware of your existence BUT you need to have made a pact with It.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonah_Me View Post
Yeah but I think I know what Ad_Hoc is getting at. If you decided to call your self a Paladin of your tribe, why use the word Paladin? The tropes associated with that image is not likely what you're going to play, at least in practice.
From the OP, he doesn't seem to be talking about that but the class the player choosed. If your mechanical class is barbarian, you absolutly need to be uncomfortable hedged in walls and in crowds.

What your saying seems more like a player picking barbarian for his samurai character and refluffing rage as extreme focus and willpower. In-game, the character would never say he's a barbarian, because he's a samurai not an uncivilized brute. But for ad_hoc, that's not allowed.