Quote Originally Posted by Nonah_Me View Post
Yeah but I think I know what Ad_Hoc is getting at. If you decided to call your self a Paladin of your tribe, why use the word Paladin? The tropes associated with that image is not likely what you're going to play, at least in practice.
Because not everyone will have the same associations. To some, a paladin is perfectly capable of doing whatever is necessary to support King Charlemagne. To them, asian or arabic flavored paladins make little to no sense. Others will think more of well...WOW, and think Draenei paladins because it is an influential source for the medium like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
MY OTHER Barbarian is a Dwarf Battlerager and has fought against the encroaching Goblin menace deep below the surface of the world for almost his entire life. He has seen the sun only a handful of times in his life. He's a tunnel-fighter, a cave-dweller...where does he feel uncomfortable?
Yeah, isn't the Dwarven Barbarian Kit from SCAG a dwarf? And I doubt they were thinking of Wild Dwarves, if those even made the cut into 5e. (I honestly sorta don't remember). So the rules themselves present a barbarian that is probably fine with stone walls, since that is where dwarves typically are.

Then you have the UA Primal Path of the Zealot, which does indicate it could be used by followers of Hextor. Unless something has changed in these editions, most followers of Hextor are pretty much city-inclined.

So why follow these 'rules' of fluff, when even the writers didn't feel much need to? I think of them as role playing guidelines for newer players to get some ideas rolling about their characters.