View Single Post

Thread: Roleplaying Rules

1. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Roleplaying Rules

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    While I don't agree with the specific stance of the OP on the particular issue, I have a big problem with the extent to which some people take the "I can do whatever I want" mentality. And this is a real problem. To be clear, I don't have a problem with anyone playing D&D however they want.
    And I think there's a gulf of difference between following guidelines presented within the books that give you very limited character options and completely ignoring the group and tone of the game.

The dwarven battlerager presented earlier by JellyPooga is perfectly legitimate in the default 5e setting, and wouldn't be out of place in many a fantasy setting. It goes against the description of the class as presented in the PHB, but in my opinion, doesn't present an air of presumption that the player can do whatever they want.

The argument is against following arbitrary 'rules' which probably aren't rules to stop awesome and workable character concepts, not that the player can do whatever. Yeah, in a medeival Chinese themed game, don't pull out an expy of King Arthur, dumb***. But what's to say that you can't fluff a druid as a shaman or Taoist caster? But the two are completely different issues.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2017-03-12 at 04:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.