Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
While I don't agree with the specific stance of the OP on the particular issue, I have a big problem with the extent to which some people take the "I can do whatever I want" mentality. And this is a real problem. To be clear, I don't have a problem with anyone playing D&D however they want.

I do, however, have a big problem with people playing D&D however they want with a bunch of people who don't want to play it that way. And that is a different problem, entirely.

So, you know, communicate your expectations ahead of time, and if one person reneges or if there are irreconcilable differences, find a new game.
I agree with this though I am not sure what 'particular issue' you're talking about, I used a variety of examples to illustrate the point.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernPhoenix View Post
I generally adhere to the honor system (The rules, crunch or fluff, are always less important than communal agreement) but beyond that i generally hate being contrarian for its own sake in fantasy and enjoy "Roleplaying rules". The important takeway though is that they exist to provide a framework for a characters role-playing archetype, not as a tool to be used in rules disputes.
When i don't like someone doing something i find particularly inane ("i want to be a Lawfull Good Drow Necromancer/Paladin/Warlock") i generally skip strait to the pathos stage of argumentation, as "rules arguments" just lead to lines in the sand.
We use the honour system at our table too. That said, it's frustrating when people violate it. We all signed up to play a game with certain tropes and themes and now you're coming in and being contrarian to be 'creative'. I don't see the creativity in it. Be a part of the group, play the same game as everyone else.

Wanting to change the themes is a big red flag to me now. I have yet to see something as extreme as someone wanting to wear metal on their druid, but if they did they would be right out.