Meera
Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
Melikki starts growling again as if sensing his master's displeasure but quiets down with nothing more than a look from Julius.

"Ma'am, my gut says you have talent. I know you have gusto and I applaud your boldness. Sometimes it's better to just enter actions with boldness; hesitation can mean death. This is not one of those times. A moment's thought now will save you weeks of wasteful action. You are free to do as you wish as I don't know you, but my advice is this:

That elephant owes its existence to Hafgufa. We all do. For five hundred years Hafgufa, the Leviathan God, allowed us to reside in his domain. It was within his power to crush our parents and grandparents, our families, indeed our very race; he did not. Hafgufa did not take us in out of benevolence. I assure you.

He created all the seafolk. The Triton's, the Locathah, and the Merfolk. I like your drive and your moral flexibility; normally I'd have no qualms about taking a life if the payment is right. But immortal Hafgufa will remember the races who lived under his roof and then who spit in his face the moment their feet hit dry land. I'll not in any way feed one of his chosen people to an elephant.

If someone completes that bounty. I'll find them, tie them to a pyre, and float them out to meet Hafgufa with something to keep them warm."

Julius turns back to Vasillia and Xander. "It would be silly not to get the druid his anarchaic water. That's just a straight profit for the group. After that I think that the whaling dispute would be easy to resolve. We don't need to swim down there Xander and they speak common and I, of course, speak aquan. We will get some sea blue sailing clothes, nothing formal, just so they know we're speaking as worshippers of Hafgufa. The problem is almost certainly the whaling ships. Should be easy to solve; they are the ones who want to stop being attacked. Maybe all they need to do is present Hafgufa with a good old fashioned sacrifice before setting sail. I know of an elephant that Hafgufa would appreciate. Vasillia you're our tie breaker. I think Ogre's are too much risk but I haven't seen you fight. Have either of you heard anything about Doubleridge?"

"If either of you are interested in work
(he says referring to Meera and Jeffery) we split our profits equitably when possible. When not possible, such as a rare item, I'll keep an accountant book to track your balance to the group. My plan is to be profitable enough so betrayal isn't in our best interest". Julius turns his attention to everyone and continues with a diplomatic smile (and his tusk make this look somewhat threatening), "But if you do betray me, don't leave me alive.
Meera waves the flyer at Julius dismissively.

"You sound pretty devout, but if you were really so devout, then wouldn't you be pursuing this now? I mean, clearly, this isn't the first time this..."

She stumbles for a second and glances down the flyer again.

"... this Sir Bigglesworth has fed merfolk to his oliphaunt. I mean, obviously he's had experience doing it, or he wouldn't know that his pet likes them. Perhaps you should go ahead and introduce this Sir Bigglesworth to Hafgufa to keep anyone from completing the bounty. Much more efficient that way, and you can put your money where your mouth is."

She huffs once at the suggestion of Doublebridge and adds, "Undead are disgusting. There's nothing worthwhile in meddling with them. I say we avoid them at all costs, unless, that is, you're planning to join their ranks..."