View Single Post

Thread: General Crowdfunding Thread, Mark I

1. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: General Crowdfunding Thread, Mark I

For those who haven't been paying attention to your hypernet feeds, there's an RPG coming out set in the world of the long-running, hilarious, and often sharp-witted webcomic Shlock Mercenary -- the Planet Mercenary RPG.

The Kickstarter for the core project ran some time ago, but they've got a new project that went live today...

the Deluxe RPG "Handbrain" Screen.

Spoiler: Details
    Show

About this project

Do you run role-playing games?

If you're a Game Chief (or game master, or dungeon master), you probably already have some sort of screen that lets you keep secrets from your players. You probably have several. You do not, however, have anything like this.

These Game Chief screens are designed for half-sheets of 8.5x11" or A4 paper, so you can take whatever information you need and print it or even hand-write it, then prop it up in front of you. You can also pick up a screen and hand it to a player at the table, as if to say "here is the contract you've acquired." Or you can flip it around and use it as a dry-erase tablet.

The screens are made of sturdy ABS plastic. If you're determined to break one, you can, but the player who clumsily (or angrily) knocks one off the table is going to be very relieved (or disappointed) when the screen bounces and clatters and takes zero falling damage.

Each screen can hold up to six sheets of 8.5x11 paper folded in half. The upper left corner has a pin dock suitable for a hypernet node pin (yellow map pin), and the reverse side of the screen functions as a dry-erase board. The screen it can be mounted with either the dry-erase or drop-in side facing you, and it can be lifted from its "foot" and reversed with one hand.
    With the feet removed, a set of three screens packs flat for easy transportation and storage.

These were designed to stand at an easy-to read angle, while still serving their primary function as a privacy screen that hides your die rolls from players. They're also balanced so they won't tip over—not forward, not backward, nor to either side—even when fully loaded.

If you missed the original campaign, you can add on the Planet Mercenary RPG core book in your pledge for this item.

Even if you're not interested in the Planet Mercenary RPG itself (IMO, you should be), these screens will be great gaming accessories for any tabletop RPG, even more so for those modern-era or science-fiction campaigns.

I'm guessing that they'll make the stretch goals, too. The comic is popular, the original campaign blew away its goals, and they're already halfway to the main goal after less than a day.

(Hope I get this right, read the rules post up top and I think I'm OK... search function didn't turn up any related terms in this thread. Will edit if needed.)
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-05-15 at 04:09 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.