-------------------------
    Str +1, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 2d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Longsword (melee) +3: 1d8+1 slashing, or 1d10+1 slashing if wielded in two hands.
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +3: 1d8+1 piercing

Spoiler: Hell Hound
    Show
    Medium Fiend
    Armor Class 15
    HP 45
    Speed 50 ft
    Str +3, Dex +1, Con +2
    Int -2, Wis +1, Cha -2
    Skills Perception +5
    Immunities fire
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages understands Infernal but can't speak it
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Keen Hearing and Smell. The hound has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
    Pack Tactics. The hound has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the hound's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Bite (melee) +5: 1d8+3 piercing + 2d6 fire
    Fire Breath (Recharge 5-6, 15-ft cone): 6d6 fire (Dex DC 12 half)

Spoiler: Doom Hand Cleric
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 13 (chain shirt)
    HP 27
    Speed 25 ft
    Str +1, Dex +0, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +3, Cha +1
    Skills Arcana +2, Deception +3, Religion +4
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common, Infernal
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Divine Eminence. As a bonus action, the doom hand cleric can expend a spell slot to cause its melee weapon attacks to magically deal an extra 3d6 radiant damage to a target on a hit. This benefit lasts until the end of the turn. If the doom hand cleric expends a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each level above 1st.
    Spellcasting. The doom hand cleric is a 5th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The doom hand cleric has the following spells prepared:
    Cantrips (at will): resistance, spare the dying, thaumaturgy
    1st level (4 slots): bane, cure wounds, detect magic, guiding bolt
    2nd level (3 slots): hold person, invisibility, spiritual weapon
    3rd level (2 slots)
    Actions
    Mace (melee) +3: 1d6+1 bludgeoning

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Bladebearer
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 16 (chain shirt)
    HP 67
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +1, Dex +3, Con +3
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Skills Acrobatics +5, Athletics +3
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 3d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Dual Wielder. When the bladebearer takes the Attack action, it can use a bonus action to attack with a weapon in its off-hand.
    Actions
    Shortsword (melee) +5: 1d6+3 piercing
    Off-Hand Shortsword (melee) +5: 1d6+3 piercing

Encounter Composition
    Hobgoblin Regular *4
    Hobgoblin Bladebearer "Uth-Lar"
    Doom Hand Cleric "Zarr"
    Hell Hound

XP Award: 2000

Terrain
    The wooded terrain to both sides of the road is filled with light undergrowth (difficult terrain). The steep escarpments on the sides of the road also count as difficult terrain, and to move up them specifically requires a DC 5 Athletics check. If this Athletics check is failed, 10 feet of movement is wasted, but the attempt may immediately be made again as part of the same movement, as long as 10 feet of movement remain.
    The tree trunks within the wooded areas can be used for half cover or for three-quarters cover, depending on the angle from which a creature is targeted.

Setup
    The hobgoblin regulars and the hell hound start out in the woods to the side of the road, hidden behind tree trunks, a little ahead of where the party start the encounter. Uth-Lar and Zarr start out in the farmhouse.
    The creatures in the woods start off with advantage on their Stealth scores due to cover. Have all the PCs make Perception checks. If any PC's Perception result is 16 or higher, they notice something in the woods ahead of time, and can warn the other PCs if they wish. If any PC's Perception result is 11 or higher, they at least are not surprised by the ambush once it begins.

Tactics
    The hell hound eagerly joins combat as soon as it begins. Uth-Lar and Zarr come out of the farmhouse as soon as they hear the sounds of combat; they are initially expecting just to watch a quick slaughter, but will quickly notice that they have a real fight on their hands and join in. Zarr begins combat by casting a 3rd-level spiritual weapon. He saves a 2nd-level spell slot for invisibility in case he starts fearing for his life and needs to attempt an escape.
    The hobgoblin regulars start out firing their bows from their covered positions, with their shields stowed on their backs. They focus first on PCs against whom they can use their Martial Advantage, followed by PCs who are already wounded. If archery starts to feel ineffective and any PCs are nearby, they switch to sword and shield (dropping their bows) and run down the escarpment to engage in melee.

Treasure
    Besides their weapons, armor, and shields, the ambushers carry little of interest. Zarr's holy symbol of Tiamat can be identified with a DC 10 Religion check.
    In the farmhouse are bedrolls and mess kits and such mundane travel equipment for the hobgoblins.
    The three dead guards are dressed in chain shirts and carried light crossbows and morningstars. The merchant's coin pouch contains 342 gp, 120 sp, and 100 cp. Locating it does not require a skill check if the farmhouse interior is examined at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The hobgoblin regulars are just Hobgoblins from the MM. Hell hounds are likewise unchanged from the MM.

The Doom Hand Cleric is based strongly on the NPC "Priest" stat block, but with spell selection and skill selection and some other things tweaked. I decided giving it Martial Advantage would be overkill, even though it's a hobgoblin trait, since it already has the bonus action "smite" thing in its stat block for some reason.

Finally, the bladebearer was based loosely on the Berserker NPC stat block, but I did a bit more homebrewing here. Should I bump its Intelligence up more, since that's a racial boost for PC Hobgoblins?

I initially planned on having the same composition as the original (6 regulars in the ambush, an additional 6 as delayed reinforcements, and a second Hell Hound), but I found that to be far too dangerous. (TPK, and it wasn't close.) Hell Hounds are a lot nastier than they were in 3.5e, and mooks are more dangerous with Bounded Accuracy. (And these mooks hit hard if they can manage to land Martial Advantage.)

But I'm open to tweaking the composition here if other people's playtest experiences reveal the encounter to be too easy or too hard for a party of four Level 5 PCs.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-22 at 10:54 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.