-------------------------
    Str +1, Dex +2, Con +1
    Int -4, Wis +1, Cha -2
    Skills Perception +3
    Languages n/a
    CR 1/8 (25 XP)
    Keen Hearing and Smell. Jorr's dog has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
    Actions
    Bite (melee) +3: 1d6+1 piercing. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Spoiler: Jorr Natherson
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (human)
    Armor Class 16 (+1 studded leather armor)
    HP 42
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +0, Dex +3, Con +2
    Int +1, Wis +2, Cha -1
    Saving Throws Str +3, Dex +6
    Skills Animal Handling +5, Athletics +3, Medicine +5, Nature +4, Perception +5, Stealth +9, Survival +8
    Languages Common, Goblin, Orc, Thieves' Cant
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Favored Enemy. Jorr gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against humanoids. He has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track humanoids, and on Intelligence checks to recall information about humanoids.
    Natural Explorer. Jorr ignores difficult terrain. He has advantage on initiative rolls, and on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted (in the first round of combat). When Jorr travels for an hour or more, his group is not slowed by difficult terrain, and cannot get lost except by magical means. Jorr remains alert to danger even while engaged in another activity, such as foraging, navigating, or tracking. When Jorr travels alone, he can move stealthily at a normal pace. When he forages, he finds twice as much food as normal. When he tracks other creatures, he learns their exact numbers, sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
    Wanderer. Jorr has an excellent memory for maps and geography, and can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features. In addition, he can find food and fresh water for himself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.
    Primeval Awareness. Jorr has an innate ability to communicate with beasts, and they recognize him as a kindred spirit. By spending 1 uninterrupted minute in concentration, he can sense whether any humanoids are present within 5 miles. Their numbers, general direction, and distance in miles are revealed for each such group of humanoids.
    Cunning Action. Jorr can take a bonus action on each of his turns in combat. This bonus action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
    Crossbow Expert. Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesnít impose disadvantage on Jorr's ranged attack rolls.
    Sneak Attack. Once per turn, Jorr can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature he hits with an attack if he has advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. He doesn't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isnít incapacitated, and he doesn't have disadvantage on the attack roll.
    Horde Breaker. Once on each of his turns when he makes a weapon attack, Jorr can make another attack with the same weapon against a different creature that is within 5 ft of the original target and within range of his weapon.
    Spellcasting. Jorr is a 1st-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom. Jorr knows the following ranger spells:
    1st level (3 slots): alarm, hunter's mark, longstrider
    Actions
    Dagger (melee) +6: 1d4+3 piercing
    Dagger (thrown 20/60 ft) +8: 1d4+3 piercing
    Heavy Crossbow (ranged 100/400 ft) +8: 1d10+3 piercing
    Animal Empathy. Through sounds and gestures, Jorr can communicate simple ideas to a beast, and can read its basic mood adn intent. He learns its emotional state, whether it is affected by magic of any sort, its short-term needs, and actions he can take (if any)
    to persuade it not to attack. He cannot use this ability against a creature that he has attacked within the past 10 minutes.

Jorr's dogs are just mastiffs from the MM. Not too scary.

Like Captain Soranna, Jorr is much more likely to be an ally to the PCs than an antagonist, so I just built him as a Level 5 character. Interestingly, he came out to be CR 3 (where Soranna was only CR 2). I may need to tone him down someday if they publish an update to the Revised Ranger, which I suspect will be slightly nerfed. At least getting his help should be very worthwhile for the party (unless maybe if they already have a Ranger).

Encounter Composition
    Jorr's Dog *3
    Jorr Natherson

XP Award: 1800
    If the PCs manage to enlist Jorr's help, they gain this full XP Award. If they merely gain useful information from Jorr, they are awarded 1100 XP instead. If they win this encounter via combat, they are awarded only 775 XP.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-04 at 10:00 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.