Str +0, Dex +2, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +0
    -------------------------
    Skills Athletics +2, Nature +2, Perception +5, Stealth +7, Survival +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Keen Hearing and Sight. The wolf rider has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
    Nimble Escape. The goblin can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of its turns.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The wolf rider makes two melee attacks or two ranged attacks.
    Shortsword (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Shortbow (ranged 80/320 ft) +4: 1d6+2 piercing

Spoiler: Dire Wolf
    Show
    Large Beast
    Armor Class 14
    HP 37
    Speed 50 ft
    Str +3, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int -4, Wis +1, Cha -2
    Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
    Languages n/a
    CR 1 (200 XP)
    Keen Hearing and Smell. The wolf has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
    Pack Tactics. The wolf has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Bite (melee) +5: 2d6+3 piercing. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Spoiler: Manticore
    Show
    Large Monstrosity
    Armor Class 14
    HP 68
    Speed 30 ft, fly 50 ft
    Str +3, Dex +3, Con +3
    Int -2, Wis +1, Cha -1
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Common
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Tail Spike Regrowth. The manticore has twenty-four tail spikes. Used spikes regrow when the manticore finishes a long rest.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The manticore makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws or three with its tail spikes.
    Bite (melee) +5: 1d8+3 piercing
    Claw (melee) +5: 1d6+3 slashing
    Tail Spike (ranged 100/200 ft) +5: 1d8+3 piercing

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Veteran
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 18 (chain mail, shield)
    HP 27
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 1 (200 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 2d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Longsword (melee) +4: 1d8+2 slashing, or 1d10+2 slashing if wielded in two hands.
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +3: 1d8+1 piercing

Spoiler: Minotaur
    Show
    Large Monstrosity
    Armor Class 14
    HP 76
    Speed 40 ft
    Str +4, Dex +0, Con +3
    Int -1, Wis +3, Cha -1
    Skills Intimidation +1, Perception +7
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Abyssal, Common, Goblin
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Charge. If the minotaur moves at least 10 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a gore attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 2d8 piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 10 feet away and knocked prone.
    Labyrinthine Recall. The minotaur can perfectly recall any path it has traveled.
    Reckless. At the start of its turn, the minotaur can gain advantage on all melee weapon attack rolls it makes during that turn, but attack rolls against it have advantage until the start of its next turn.
    Actions
    Greataxe (melee) +6: 2d12+4 slashing
    Gore (melee) +6: 2d8+4 piercing

Spoiler: Wyrmlord Koth
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 12 (15 with mage armor)
    HP 40
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +2, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +3
    Saving Throws Con +4, Cha +6
    Skills Arcana +3, Intimidate +6, Stealth +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common, Infernal
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Heart of Hruggek. Koth has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned, stunned, or put to sleep.
    Spellcasting. Koth is a 7th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). Koth knows the following spells:
    Cantrips (at will): acid splash, mage hand, message, minor illusion, true strike
    1st level (4 slots): charm person, mage armor,* shield
    2nd level (3 slots): blindness/deafness
    3rd level (3 slots): fear, fireball, fly
    4th level (1 slot)
    *Koth casts this spell on himself before combat begins.
    Actions
    Multiattack. Koth attacks twice with his morningstar.
    Morningstar (melee) +5: 2d8+2 piercing
    Wand of Magic Missiles (7 charges): For one charge, casts the 1st-level version of the magic missile spell; increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge expended. The wand regains 1d6+1 expended charges daily at dawn. If Koth expends the wand's last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand crumbles into ashes and is destroyed.

Encounter Composition
    Goblin Wolf Rider *2
    Dire Wolf *2
    Manticore
    Hobgoblin Veteran *4
    Minotaur
    Wyrmlord Koth

XP Award: 4600

------------------------------------------------------------------

The goblin wolf riders are the same as they were in Witchwood Random Encounters. The dire wolves are straight out of the MM. Karkilan the minotaur basically is too (minor changes), as is the manticore.

The hobgoblin veterans are an upgraded version of hobgoblin regulars; still only CR 1.

Finally, Wyrmlord Koth. I decided to make him CR 5 -- the toughest thing the party has yet faced except the solo hydra, tied with the nastiest possible random encounters. I thought that would be plenty, since he shouldn't be faced alone, but should be surrounded by bodyguards. And I eyeballed a 7th-level caster as a CR 5 threat. So he's more or less a Bugbear Sorcerer 7.

Here's the problem: I think this encounter is a bit too easy. Much to my surprise, after Marauder Attack had to be toned way down to keep it from being too lethal.

My playtest party lost one character, but with a little luck with the dice, they were able to take down the entire populace of the Keep. Now, normally I'd say that's a fine result for a boss battle, or maybe even a bit too hard of an encounter. But here's the thing: they had no strategy.

RHoD practically begs you to split up Vraath Keep into a number of separate encounters, and gives you every opportunity to do so (e.g. the high-DC Perception check for the hobgoblins to hear the goblins' calls for help, or the fact that during the day two of the hobgoblin veterans are supposed to be asleep without their armor).

My party took on all the inhabitants of the keep simultaneously, and they were still able to win. If they had taken an intelligent approach to infiltrating the keep, it would have been far too easy.

So what should I buff up to make this encounter more challenging? I kind of think Koth is fine, judging by how he did most of the damage to the playtest party with Fireballs. I already was using Hobgoblin Veterans instead of Hobgoblin Regulars, and Dire Wolves instead of Worgs. I could bump the Veterans up to CR 2, but that makes them equals of Hobgoblin Bladebearers, which seems a bit off. Or I could advance the minotaur and/or manticore to a higher CR than they have in the MM ... I guess that's what I'm leaning toward, but feedback is very appreciated.

EDIT: Also, my playtest party did not have Jorr with them, which would have made the battle even easier.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-22 at 10:52 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.