View Single Post

Thread: Converting Red Hand of Doom to 5e

1. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Converting Red Hand of Doom to 5e

Spoiler: (responses to thread)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvin Natsuko View Post
    Nice work! I'm planning on doing the same thing, but first I'm running several homebrew adventures to create group unity and level them up to 6 or 7, with is the level I will start the RHoD.

Please keep doing it. If I start the module before you start yours I'll be happy to give you some feedback.

PS: Sorry for the bad english, not my first language.
    I look forward to your feedback/help! And your English in this post was fine!

Skull Gorge Bridge

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Veteran
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
    -------------------------
    Armor Class 18 (chain mail, shield)
    HP 27
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 1 (200 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 2d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Longsword (melee) +4: 1d8+2 slashing, or 1d10+2 slashing if wielded in two hands.
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +3: 1d8+1 piercing

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Sergeant
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 17 (half plate)
    HP 39
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +1, Wis +0, Cha +1
    Skills Intimidation +3
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common, Draconic
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 3d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The hobgoblin makes two greatsword attacks.
    Greatsword (melee) +4: 2d6+2 slashing
    Javelin (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Javelin (thrown 30/120 ft) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Leadership. For 1 minute after activating this feature, the sergeant can utter a special command or warning whenever a nonhostile creature that it can see within 30 feet of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the sergeant. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die at a time. This effect ends if the sergeant is incapacitated. Once the sergeant activates this feature, it must finish a short or long rest before it can use it again.

Spoiler: Hell Hound
    Show
    Medium Fiend
    Armor Class 15
    HP 45
    Speed 50 ft
    Str +3, Dex +1, Con +2
    Int -2, Wis +1, Cha -2
    Skills Perception +5
    Immunities fire
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages understands Infernal but can't speak it
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Keen Hearing and Smell. The hound has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
    Pack Tactics. The hound has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the hound's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Bite (melee) +5: 1d8+3 piercing + 2d6 fire
    Fire Breath (Recharge 5-6, 15-ft cone): 6d6 fire (Dex DC 12 half)

Spoiler: Ozzyrandion
    Show
    Medium Dragon
    Armor Class 17
    HP 103
    Speed 40 ft, fly 80 ft, swim 40 ft
    Str +2, Dex +4, Con +3
    Int +3, Wis +1, Cha +2
    Saving Throws Dex +7, Con +6, Wis +4, Cha +5
    Skills Deception +5, Perception +7, Stealth +7
    Immunities poison; poisoned
    Senses blindsight 20 ft, darkvision 90 ft
    Languages Draconic, Common, Infernal
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Amphibious. Ozzyrandion can breathe air and water.
    Actions
    Multiattack. Ozzyrandion makes three attacks: one with his bite and two with his claws.
    Bite (melee) +6: 2d6+4 piercing + 2d4 poison
    Claw (melee) +6: 2d4+4 slashing
    Poison Breath (Recharge 5-6, 25-ft cone): 8d6 poison (Con DC 13 half)

Encounter Composition
    Hobgoblin Veteran *8
    Hobgoblin Sergeant
    Hell Hound *2
    Ozzyrandion

XP Award: 5500

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hobgoblin veterans and hell hounds use the same stat blocks that they had in earlier encounters.

For the Hobgoblin Sergeants in RHoD, I can use the Hobgoblin Captain stat block from the MM -- it's a good CR and, for the DM, is a low-bookkeeping way to do a leadership ability. I made a few minor changes that shouldn't affect the CR, like adding Intimidation proficiency (which I do a lot) and changing the greatsword to the correct damage type.

For Ozzy, I wanted a CR 5 creature, just like I did for Koth, so that he could be a boss battle without being instant death when surrounded by minions. I also wanted to make him a bit different than other dragons (in RHoD or elsewhere), for flavor, so I made him DEX-based instead of STR-based.

I started with the Young Green Dragon stat block, then adjusted it down by 3 CR (hopefully). I interpolated somewhat with the Green Dragon Wyrmling, but erred on the side of making it similar to the Young Green Dragon. I left its speed the same as the Young Green Dragon for flavor (instead of interpolating), messed around with the DEX score and a few other minor details ... let me know what you think of the result.

As for the difficulty of this encounter in playtesting ... it was another TPK. And a very sudden one, so the PCs didn't really have a chance to retreat (which I would have been fine with, since this is really supposed to be a boss battle).

Yet I'm loathe to make it much easier, because I once ran this encounter for a real group of PCs, and it was too easy for them.

I did tweak Ozzy's numbers up just a tiny bit for the TPK, but I don't think that's what made the difference. I think I'm just seeing some rather swingy combat results. And that means I'm not sure how to balance things out, without playtesting the battle over and over and over.

So as always, if anyone else wants to run this battle and let me know how it went, I'd love that. The party is still supposed to be four Level 5 PCs at this point (though Jorr may be with them as well, and they'll likely level up after demolishing the Bridge).
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-09 at 10:23 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.