Armor Class 16 (studded leather armor)
    HP 36
    Speed 35 ft
    -------------------------
    Str +1, Dex +4, Con +2
    Int -1, Wis +2, Cha +0
    Saving Throws Str +3, Dex +6
    Skills Animal Handling +4, Athletics +3, Investigation +1, Perception +4, Stealth +6, Survival +4
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Elvish, Common
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Favored Enemy. Killiar gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against monstrosities. He has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track monstrosities, and on Intelligence checks to recall information about monstrosities.
    Natural Explorer. Killiar ignores difficult terrain. He has advantage on initiative rolls, and on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted (in the first round of combat). When Killiar travels for an hour or more, his group is not slowed by difficult terrain, and cannot get lost except by magical means. Killiar remains alert to danger even while engaged in another activity, such as foraging, navigating, or tracking. When Killiar travels alone, he can move stealthily at a normal pace. When he forages, he finds twice as much food as normal. When he tracks other creatures, he learns their exact numbers, sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
    Primeval Awareness. Killiar has an innate ability to communicate with beasts, and they recognize him as a kindred spirit. By spending 1 uninterrupted minute in concentration, he can sense whether any monstrosities are present within 5 miles. Their numbers, general direction, and distance in miles are revealed for each such group of monstrosities.
    Colossus Slayer. Once per turn when Killiar hits a creature with a weapon attack, the target takes an extra 1d8 damage if it's below its hit point maximum.
    Fey Ancestry. Killiar has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic canít put him to sleep.
    Mask of the Wild. Killiar can attempt to hide even when he is only lightly obscured by natural phenomena.
    Spellcasting. Killiar is a 2nd-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom. Killiar knows the following ranger spells:
    1st level (3 slots): animal friendship, goodberry, hunter's mark
    Actions
    Rapier (melee) +6: 1d8+4 piercing
    +1 Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +9: 1d8+5 piercing
    Animal Empathy. Through sounds and gestures, Killiar can communicate simple ideas to a beast, and can read its basic mood and intent. He learns its emotional state, whether it is affected by magic of any sort, its short-term needs, and actions he can take (if any) to persuade it not to attack. He cannot use this ability against a creature that he has attacked within the past 10 minutes.

Spoiler: Tiri Kitor Hunter
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (elf)
    Armor Class 13 (leather armor)
    HP 16
    Speed 35 ft
    Str +0, Dex +2, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Skills Athletics +2, Nature +2, Perception +5, Stealth +6, Survival +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Elvish, Common
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Keen Hearing and Sight. The hunter has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
    Fey Ancestry. The hunter has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic canít put it to sleep.
    Mask of the Wild. The hunter can attempt to hide even when it is only lightly obscured by natural phenomena.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The hunter makes two melee attacks or two ranged attacks.
    Shortsword (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +4: 1d8+2 piercing

Spoiler: Giant Owl
    Show
    Large Beast
    Armor Class 12
    HP 19
    Speed 5 ft, fly 60 ft
    Str +1, Dex +2, Con +1
    Int -1, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Skills Perception +5, Stealth +4
    Senses darkvision 120 ft
    Languages Giant Owl; understands Elvish, Sylvan, and Common but can't speak them
    CR 1/4 (50 XP)
    Flyby. The owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
    Keen Hearing and Sight. The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
    Actions
    Talons (melee) +3: 2d6+1 slashing

Encounter Composition
    Killiar Arrowswift
    Tiri Kitor Hunter *4
    Giant Owl *5

XP Award: 1100
    The XP Award can be granted if the encounter is negotiated reasonably smoothly, not only if it turns into a combat encounter (which it probably shouldn't). Whether Killiar's attitude towards the PCs actually becomes friendly doesn't affect the XP the PCs receive, but it will become important when The Elf Alliance encounter occurs later in the adventure.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Like other probably-helpful NPCs, I built Killiar close to a PC, in this case of 4th level. His hunters and owls come out of the MM (Scout NPC block for the hunters), even though that makes them considerably weaker than they were in 3.5e.

Whether they're a challenging combat encounter probably won't matter at this point, because the PCs probably won't fight them, but I do wonder if I should beef them up more so they will put up a better fight if they fight on the PCs' side in Brindol.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-20 at 10:50 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.